Qn on reading intonation in US and UK English

Chris   Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
Hi, I purchased an audio from audible.com of Allan Bloom's Closing of the American Mind read by Christopher Hurt. I do not know who Christopher Hurt is, but I want to ask if his intonation is "normal" for US English. He seems to read every sentence wrong intonation-wise, rising on the wrong words and falling on the wrong words. The qn of how to read long sentences with correct intonation is quite difficult to answer, but I think it is at least possible that a US reading intonation might differ from a UK reading intonation.

Every sentence in that audio show the same thing but let me pick this:

Speaking of the (up) place of the (down) humanities in the univerisities.

He seems to have a rising tone up to "place of the" and then a falling tone on humanities, which seems odd. Place is a general word and humanities is a particular word, and I think humanities would be stressed in this sentence in UK English. I am wondering if he is affecting this pronunciation to sound more "measured" and thus come across as a careful thinker? But the book just sounds like is read wrong to me. What do US forum members think?
Lo   Fri May 23, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
Actually, I don't think that's weird at all my intonation would go as follows:

Speak(up)ing of the place of the huma(down)nities in the univer(up)sities

If it sounds weird to you maybe you should cut a sentence you think's odd and upload it for us to see. As you've transcribed it, it looks perfectly normal.
Guest   Fri May 23, 2008 10:38 pm GMT
A lot of audio books are read in unnatural ways. Especially books for children.