Thank-you in the Slavic languages

K. T.   Mon May 26, 2008 9:47 pm GMT
I've noticed that "Thank-you" in Polish and Czech is similar to "Thank-you" in Ukrainian, but TY in Russian and Croatian/Serbian/Bosnian sounds completely different. Am I missing part of the linguistic puzzle here?

Polish/Czech/Ukrainian=similar
SCB=different
Russian=different
J.C.   Tue May 27, 2008 8:08 am GMT
K.T-さん:I wonder if the similarity has to do with the linguistics families since Polish and Czech belong to West slavic group, o Russian and Ukranian belong to the East slavic group and Bulgarian, Servo-Croatian and Slovenian belong to the south slavic group.
There are also other languages in the groups above but I sticked with the main languages.
спасиба!
Linguist   Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 am GMT
in Bulgarian it's also different, though in Russian the same word is used also but it's kinda more official.
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 10:27 am GMT
Why's 'thank you' different in Spanish compared to Portuguese, but similar to Italian?
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 1:01 pm GMT
Who said that the word for "Thank you" had to be the same or similar in related languages?
Guest   Tue May 27, 2008 1:28 pm GMT
In Croatian: Hvala (it means Thanks literally in English, Gracias in Spanish, Grazie in Italian), in colloqual language it is pronounced many times as Fala
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 2:45 pm GMT
is it possible that Polish "Dziękuję" has some connection with German "Danke" and English "Thanks"? Most Polish infintivs that end by -ować (like "dziękować") are borrowings.
Chris   Wed May 28, 2008 3:29 pm GMT
Xvala in Croatia is related to the word for "praise" in Russian. The Russian word thank you means "God save (you)", and the Polish word literally means "I thank (you)". Ukrainian is more like Russian but has Polish influence from the long Polish rule.
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
>Polish "Dziękuję" has some connection with German "Danke" and English "Thanks"<
Yes, they're IE.
Sanskrit: dhanyavaada = thank you
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm GMT
Dziękuję would be Zahvaljujem (I thank) in Croatian,
and ''God save (you)'' would be ''Spasio te Bog''
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 3:48 pm GMT
>Xvala in Croatia<
Hvala!
Guest   Wed May 28, 2008 3:57 pm GMT
In bulgarian, "blagodarià".
Alexandria   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:24 pm GMT
In Romanian thank you is: Multumesc
Alexandria   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:28 pm GMT
.....Yes i know Romanian isn't Slavic. But it's a country surrounded by Slavic speaking countries!
Skippy   Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:02 am GMT
And part of the Balkan linguistic union.