How to Analysis?

Sarah   Wed May 28, 2008 2:58 pm GMT
Hi guys,
Hope you are doing good.

I have this question, If you have any idea about its answer, please post it.
A- How to analysis(not to paraphrase) a quotation of a novel?

appreciate your help...
guest   Wed May 28, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
first, I think it should be "analyze" or "do analysis" instead of "to analysis", not to point fault at you--I know you probably didn't originate that, but anyway...

To analyze something, like a quotation, is to break it apart and look at it closely, and then to tell/report on what you see, especially where it concerns what the author is really trying to say (special or hidden meaning)

To paraphrase is to simply recount, in a brief way, what the author said. No analysis has to take place there.
Sarah   Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 pm GMT
Thank you Guest for correcting me. Would you give me example, please.
Michael   Thu May 29, 2008 2:53 am GMT
From Shakespeare's Hamlet: "To be or not to be"

An analysis, or interpretation of the quote: Hamlet is contemplating (thinking about or considering) suicide.

A paraphrase of the quote: life or death.
Sarah   Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 am GMT
Thanks Michael. I bring this quotation from " Oliver Twist" By DIckens. I need its analyze:

"Meat, ma'am, meat," replied Bumble, with stern emphasis. "You've over-fed him, ma'am. You've raised a artificial soul and spirit in him, ma'am, unbecoming a person of his condition: as the board, Mrs. Sowerberry, who are practical philosophers, will tell you. What have paupers to do with soul or spirit? It's quite enough that we let 'em have live bodies. If you had kept the boy on gruel, ma'am, this would never have happened."
Michael   Thu May 29, 2008 1:56 pm GMT
Bumble believes the poor should not be treated the same as other people because they are born inferior.

He also believes Oliver has false beliefs about himself from receiving meat, because that is what everyone but the poor eats. Bumble thinks these false beliefs made Oliver misbehave.
Sarah   Thu May 29, 2008 5:20 pm GMT
Thank you Michael again.

Finally, I want you to give me some tips to do analysis in general. I'd be grateful if you do it.
Guest   Thu May 29, 2008 5:34 pm GMT
"I need its analyze" does not make sense. "analyze" is a verb, not a noun.
Michael   Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
If you need help in interpretation for general understanding, the only thing that well help is better understanding of the English language.

If you need help in interpretation for other things such as symbolic meaning,
I would suggest reading "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer Adler.
Sarahٍ   Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:59 am GMT
Thank you Guest and Michael. I think I got the idea!

Yes Guest it's " I need its analysis" Lol.
Thanks for correcting me. I don't mind that at all. I really appreciate it!

Guest, you said in your first post that I should look at the quotation closely and tell what I see, especially what the author wants to convey, right?