Shadowing Question for Damien

Guest   Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
and yes, I am gay, and i like to take it up the ass, and to suck dirty dicks...I also like to swallow...

Damian, did you write this or it was an impersonator?
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
Badjack - no problem....I was happy to help you.

There are some weird muppets infiltrating this otherwise decent Forum....the best policy is to ignore them and you soon learn which to take seriously and which to mentally bin.

I guarantee that the post by a perverted guy using my handle at 08:27hrs GMT today 02/06/08 was bogus. Need I say any more.

Podcasts are really good and they would be very useful to you in the type of work you are doing, and I'm intrigued by the assignments you undertake which require a Scottish (two Ts) accent.....what could they be?? :-)

Keep on tuning into your Edinburgh cabbie's podcasts - most of them have typical Edinburgh accents, more or less, although there is now a tendency to find cabbies in the city with accents far removed from our local one.....I know of at least one Polish guy driving city taxis. He must be pretty good to have passed the equivalent of "The Knowledge" - the sort of exam/test requiring a pretty exhaustive knowledge of the city and its surrounds.....quite a lot to take in. Some Polish guys now drive city buses and elsewhere in Scotland (one T) - their biggest problem (apart from the traffic congestion) is to remember to keep to the left.

I reckon Adam will now tell us the shattering news that they drive on the left in Poland anyway!

Keep on shadowing! I expect you to speak perfect Balerno in no time at all. (It's a suburb!)
Badjack   Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
Sorry I overreacted Flizz. I should join you at Carnival. If you're doing the Madonna thing I guess I'll have to go in my alternate costume, which is a donkey mask and a thong. Then if we can just get Damien to join us....
Flizz   Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:09 pm GMT
Nice, Badjack! Then it will be the three of us parading through the streets at carnival: madonna, donkey, and what would damien be?

I wouldn't recommend you wear a thong at carnival in Rio. One must keep his/her behind well secured when in the streets of Rio de Janeiro during carnival time!
Badjack   Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:02 pm GMT
That reminds me of a guy at Mardi Gras in New Orleans a few years ago who dropped his pants and handcuffed himself (bum exposed) to a streetlight pole so that he could be enjoyed by passers-by. I think that's probably child's play compared to Carnival though.
Flizz   Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 pm GMT
You don't wanna do that in the streets of Rio de Janeiro. Trust me!
KC   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:57 am GMT
I'll let you guys in on a secret. The best (and only) way to know if a post was written by the REAL Damian or not is to check out the length of the post. If it exceeds 500 characters, its the real deal; otherwise FAKE!! lol Damian, just joking - let me add I enjoy reading your long posts, I learn a lot about the British culture. Like just yesterday, I was browsing through the archives of Antimoon and came across your post on Kenneth Williams, the British comic/actor. Watched his clips on Youtube. Was blown away, amazing. Now thats what I would say would be the epitome of perfect, articulated speech with extraordinary command of the language and superb vocabulary.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
at my sexually disturbed attacker, yes I am gay, what is your problem? I reckon the perverted guy is "infiltrating" other forums as well.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:37 pm GMT
Disregard the above post - deffo NOT me.

One of the ways to check the validity of the largely obscene posts masquerading under my handle is to look at the timings of them. Several of them had been posted in the early hours of the morning UK time - one at 02:54 hrs GMT (03:54 hrs BST clock time here) and another at 04:16 GMT (05:16 BST). No way do I post in here at those times of the night! I'm curled up in my cradle.

Kenneth Williams still appears on TV here from time o time, mostly in those Carry On films - he actually loathed working in those, according to his diaries, published in book form by Russell Davies. Kenneth was a wee bit of an intellectual snob, and he always felt that acting the parts he had to was sort of demeaning, and below his true capabilities, and the only driving force was the money he made out of them, filming about four or five in a year sometimes.

Talking about nasality in voices and accents, Kenneth Williams was about as nasal as could be, but in a very camp and affected sort of way. The poor guy seemed to spend his entire life in some kind of self inflicted torture, mostly arising out of his homosexuality, as he was born way back in 1926, and so grew up among attitudes which were vastly different to what they are today. In addition to this was the very real concern he felt throughout his life that he never seemed to achieve his full potential. Even the best was never good enough for Kenneth.

His diaries were similar to those of Samuel Pepys (1633-1703) in the way he always adopted a sort of "secret code" when referring to matters of a deeply personal nature, especially those relating to sexuality.

Whereas Pepys used a sort of made up language to describe these sort of things ( as sort of mix of Latin and his own verbal concoctions but which left the reader in no doubt as to the meaning of his words), Kenneth Williams resorted to Cockney rhyming slang (he was born and bred and died in the same area of London - roughly the Bloomsbury area, east of Tottenham Court Road).

Whenever he mentioned going to bed and "doing the Barclays" it really meant he masturbated. There is a prominent Bank here in the UK called Barclays Bank, so in true Cockney rhyming slang to refer to masturbate, simply substitute"wank" for "bank" and there you have it, but by saying just "the Barclays" immediately lets you know what he's talking about. Much like a Cockney will say "barnet" when referring to his hair - this relates to a big Fair they used to hold in the North London suburb of Barnet many years ago - known as Barnet Fair. Hair.
greg   Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:17 am GMT
Badjack : « I'm a native speaker of Standard American English. I've learned to speak French without an American accent by listening carefully and doing my best to imitate the French speaker. It helped that I lived in Northern France for a year and as a result my French pronunciation leans heavily toward a northern French accent. I've been told by French people that they cannot tell that I didn't grow up in their neighborhood. »

Tu sais sans doute que la phonologie septentrionale n'est pas monolithique. Quel accent as-tu intégré au point de confondre les gens du coin ?
Guest   Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:47 am GMT
"and yes, I am gay, and i like to take it up the ass"

That's definitely not Damian, because Brits take it up the ARSE, not ass.
Badjack   Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
Greg, pour la pluspart, je crois que mon accent en Francais c'est "l'accent du nord".... Je fais de mon mieux de ne pas trop manger mes voyelles mais on me dit parfois que mes "R" sont trop fort. Je doid faire tres attention de ne pas dire Mais en meme temps je ne dit pas "qu'elle heure qu'il est?" ou "d'ouq c'est que tu viens?" et je n'ai pas du tout integre les prononciations typique "chtimi".