Czech "Ř"

Skippy   Sat May 31, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
I'm assuming that this sound is simply going to require practice... But how is it actually pronounced (would it be like the last sounds in "large" if one were to roll the r)? And what sound could I get by with until I learn to pronounce it (/dZ/ or /tS/)?
Skippy   Sat May 31, 2008 5:31 pm GMT
It's supposed to be an r with a hacek, not "&#344" sorry about that
Guest   Sat May 31, 2008 6:49 pm GMT
It's like "r-zh".
What I would like to know is if it's similar to Chinese r in "RenmIn Ribao".
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:15 am GMT
But if someone pronounced it as "r"+"zh" one after the other as opposed to "r"+"zh" at the same time (as I understand it is pronounced, which is of little help to an American) is that particularly annoying?
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:25 pm GMT
"pronounced it as "r"+"zh" one after the other", "is that particularly annoying?"

I don't think so, but I'm not Czech. No one ever corrected me when I was in Czech republic, trying to speak. They are very polite, though.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:35 pm GMT
"pronounced it as "r"+"zh" one after the other"
I mean, I pronounce it like this^
Joel   Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:59 pm GMT
little like this maybe:

rrzhah: with soft roll and a short "ah"

don't know if that helps; just find an audio recording of Czech saying 333 "tři sta-třicet-tři" and listen/practice. It's like many non-English speakers learning "th" can't really aproximate it, just have to listen and practice.

What many foreigners I hear do with ř is more or less pronouncing it the same as "ΕΎ". Sounds weird but people usually understand.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:21 pm GMT
I have a friend who speaks Polish and she taught me how to say something (I forgot what it was) but she wrote it down and the 'rz' which I believe is the same as the r-hacek in Czech, she said just to say like "d+zh" because "you're an American... You're not gonna get it." lol
Joel   Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 pm GMT
the rz in Polish is close to an English "sh" really; d+zh is a common explanation for the english/french J. Americans (Statesians) are quicker at Czech pronunciation than many other groups on average, by the way, but Polish sound like disabled Czechs so maybe not with them... (slight jab; have nothing against Poles, they say Czechs sound like 3-year-olds...).