Clothing

Barmy in Missouri   Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:27 pm GMT
I am aware of several differences that exist between Britain and America, as far as clothing goes. For example (British on the left, American on the right):

vest/undershirt
trainers/sneakers, tennis shoes
trousers/pants
pants/underpants, underwear
knickers/panties, underwear, underpants
pyjamas/pajamas
dressing gown/robe

I'm sure there are probably several more. However, I was wondering if Brits have another name for jeans. Do you call them trousers, as well? Also, do you have another name for what we would call a nightgown? Some people here (although not many) also would call it a nightdress or a nightie.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
What about "denims"? Is it British or USian?
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
>>USian<<

*giggles* Never heard that one before.

No, we definitely do not say "denims". Is that the prefered British term?
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
Ugh. I really need to start checking my spelling & such before I post. I do actually know how to spell preferred.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:47 pm GMT
<<Never heard that one before.>>

It is an antimoon troll term.
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:53 pm GMT
Okay. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "troll" term, though. I found this site by accident yesterday morning, and before I knew it, I'd spent the better part of the day being amused/intrigued/angry with its content.
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:54 pm GMT
There's nothing trollish about that term. There are legitimate reasons for it's existence and although I'm well aware that it's far away from being used in the real world, it is used here on a-moon and you'll have to live with it.
Skippy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
The American term for jeans is jeans... I've never heard "denims" before. "Denim" is either an adjective (denim jeans, denim jacket, etc.) or a noun like "cotton" where you would rarely (if ever) use it in the plural.
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
Um, I didn't say I had a problem with it, I just don't know what it means... ???
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 pm GMT
"you'll have to live with it"
Not you Barmy.
You should check this:
http://www.antimoon.com/forum/t8402-0.htm
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:11 pm GMT
Right, Skippy. Where I come from, denim/cotton is what they're made of, not what they're called.

Thank you, Guest. Your Antimoon link was entertaining (Usonian, LMAO!), and now I understand USian, but I still don't get the "troll" part...

Cowboybukser, indeed. *snickers*
Guest   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:13 pm GMT
Barmy   Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:19 pm GMT
OH! That's much clearer now, thank you! :)