Scotland, Wales

Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:10 am GMT
Why aren't Scotland and Wales independent from England? If Scotland and Wales remove from England and Speak only Gelic and Irish, then English will lose it's some importance? Is it likely in the future that this will happen?

THanks for the advices.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:12 am GMT
<<England and Speak only Gelic and Irish,>>

Sorry, I wanted to write "Welsh". This was a typo.
Guest   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:15 am GMT
Also, how close integrated are the different cultures of Wales and Scotland compared with the culture of England? Is it a dissent or schism at all or is it a great friendship?

If the second, I think it is not probably that it will happen for independence, but I seek the opinions of natives.
Skippy   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:19 am GMT
Scotland has been given a pretty high degree of independence, Wales less so. My understanding, however, is that they're less "sovereign" than the individual United States. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the UK having such a strong unitary system, I don't see them granting much power to the individual nations.
KC   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 am GMT
No doubt Damian will come in with his expert opinion shortly. But before that, let me say, from what I know, that yes, Scotland has recently got its own independent Parliament. There had been a long-standing demand for independence, but from what I understand, things have calmed down a bit, and people are now looking for greater autonomy from London (which is where the separate Parliament comes in) instead of outright independence. Also, there was a recent uproar over the Labour Scottish MP Wendy Alexander demanding a public referendum on whether Scotland should become independent (she used these words - "Bring it on!!" which sounded rather weird in the Scottish accent). However, Gordon Brown, himself a Scotsman, has tried to downplay those remarks, and in the near future, things will probably remain in status quo. Sorry, I have very little idea about Wales. Also, I might be a bit off on some of the things I mentioned. No doubt Damian will correct me in that case.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:13 am GMT
This is quite a complicated issue involving what in essence are different races of people, each with their own separate identities and characteristics, all living side by side together under the same general banner, in a very small geographical area in global terms. History plays a major part, naturally, which adds very much to the whole jigsaw puzzle of what makes up the picture of this nation.

KC is pretty much clued up on all this, and I agree a lot with what he says, but I really am pushed for time right now so I will endeavour to respond more fully when I get home this evening, before I have to shoot out again.

What I would say here and now though, in haste, that no matter what, with all our internal wranglings and bickerings between our separate national component parts over "independence" and "controlling our own affairs" - be it Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and, of course, not forgetting England!!! :-) - a total, irreversible break up of the United Kingdom is about as likely as the Pope suddenly announcing that he is engaged to be married! Divorce proceedings within the UK are about as likely as that event.

If it's of any interest to anyone the British Government right now are considering renaming the public holiday which occurs on the last Monday of August each year as Britain Day (currently known as the Late Summer Bank Holiday) - the idea being to promote "Britishness" and "The Recognition of a Clear and Distinct British identity" - the main object of this being to "force" all immigrants to adopt this notion of Britishness if they intend to live here permanently, or else consider moving back to whence they came in the first place if they fail to do this.

There is one fly in the ointment here - the Late Summer Bank Holiday at the end of August doesn't apply in Scotland - it isn't a holiday up here on the last Monday in August. We have our equivalent holiday on the first Monday of August! See what I mean about complications?

Yes, Gordon Brown is a Scotsman but for various reasons I prefer not to think too much about that...... The same goes for Wendy Alexander! :-)