Can someone define Estaury?

Owain Glyndwr   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:08 am GMT
Many thanks for the translation.
Russconha   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:19 am GMT
Ignoring the spelling mistake, an 'estuary' is where a river meets the sea.

The water here is neither fresh or salty but referred to as brackish.

So 'estuary' used in any other context means a mixture of properties.
Guest   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:22 am GMT
Isn't it the tidal portion of a river emptying into the ocean?

For example, the Hudson River Estuary stretches from the narrows up to the dam at Troy, NY. (or is this a special kind of estuary -- a "tidal estuary"?)
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:29 am GMT
I'm not sure that Owain Glyndwr was referring to THAT kind of estuary....I think he wanted a clear definition of Estuary...a topic which has been widely discussed in this Forum.

Mr Glyndwr obviously come fom Wales as he has taken the name of the most famous of characters from Welsh history - Owain Glyndwr (or Owen Glendower as the English prefer to call him) - a valiant defender of Welsh territory and nationhood against English aggression and incursions across Offa's Dyke - the ancient line of defence running up the entire Welsh/English border, still seen today in most parts of its length between Chepstow and Prestatyn. Owain Glyndwr was the Welsh equaivalent of our William Wallace.

Someone remind Mr Glyndwr what Estaury means.....he should know, as aspects of Estuary have also made inroads into Wales, as it has up here in Scotland.
Owain Glyndwr   Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
Thanks Damien and Russ. So is it safe to say that when you refer to an accent as "Estuary", you're not referring to the pronunciation habits found in any particular geographical location, rather, a mixture of accents?

Now I'm off to my Lappgoch practice and then back to the coal mines.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Owain - hasn't anybody told you yet? There are no coal mines any more! Unless you're off to China.......have a good journey.....
Boyo   Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:48 am GMT
I think you are forgetting the Pot Noodle mines, Damian.
Ranald Menzies Dalziel II   Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:42 pm GMT
Estuary - a godawful dialect of English spoken by the working class natives of London, Kent and Essex, that has inexplicably and surreptitiously taken root in the speeches of our middle class, and (gasp!) even upper class, youth.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
I always thought the Pot Noodle mines were in Cornwall! I suspect you were thinking of the Laver Bread mines, Boyo.

Yes, Estuary has spread to the Royal Family - well, the younger ones anyway....Kate Middleton is brill at it, so watch out, Will! I don't think we'll ever hear the Queen deliver her Christmas message or State Opening of Parliament speech in Estuary though, do you?
Russconha   Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:13 am GMT
The Dear Old Queen's voice has definitely changed. Try listening to her voice from 50 years ago and from today. It's quite surprising really.