How Turkish sounds to you?

Yelena   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:39 pm GMT
Im a Swedish citizen of Russian origin girl, and im currently studying Turkish language at school, and it sounds like the Finnish language that Finnish students speak in my class... I've been to Istanbul twice in my lifetime and experienced the Turkish language.But many people think that Turkish sounds more like Hungarian rather than Finnish...what do you think?
Guest   Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:55 pm GMT
Turkish sounds very, very, very... very different from Finnish or Hungarian. Hungarian and Finnish sound alike but different.
Gerhard   Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:38 pm GMT
Turkish sounds to me, sometimes like Hungarian, sometimes like Armenian, and in the most part of the time, like Iranian, Azerbaidjan and Afganistan...
Alexandria   Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:29 pm GMT
I have a Turkish friend and out of all the languages I have heard, I would say Farsi aka Persian. I don't think Turkish sounds like Finnish, maybe a bit Hungarian but I really haven't heard the 2 enough to judge.
Skippy   Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:36 am GMT
It sounds to me like Hungarian... But I don't speak either language, so I suppose I'm not really qualified to answer.
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 am GMT
All those middle eastern languages sound the same.
Minällestä   Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:44 pm GMT
Turkish is not a middle eastern language you stupid... And it has no roots related to Middle Eastern languages, neither to Hebrew nor to Arabic. Turkish doesnt have guttural voices like "gh" or "r" that even exists in Dutch and French...
Skippy   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
Technically, Turkish is a "Middle Eastern" language, as Turkey (or at least most of it) is part of the Middle East, just like Hungarian or Basque are European languages, just not Indo-European languages.

Just because it is not related to Arabic does not disqualify it as a "Middle Eastern" language, as Farsi or Dari are Indo-European languages.
PARISIEN   Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:05 pm GMT
<< Turkish is not a middle eastern language you stupid... And it has no roots related to Middle Eastern languages, neither to Hebrew nor to Arabic. >>
-- You're right in some way. Turkish is a middle eastern language, sounds definitely non-European, but not in the same way as Arabic and Hebrew do (it's not even remotely as ugly).
Turkish sounds much softer, quite like Central Asian languages — which include Farsi, though the latter is Indo-European and not related at all with the Turanian group of languages.

<< guttural voices like "gh" or "r" that even exists in Dutch and French... >>
-- I see. You are in the top league of ignoramuses.
Minällestä   Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
At first, you have to admit and absorb into your brains that Turkey is not a middleeastern country, go and learn some geography... Even if you count Turkey in middle eastern languages, it is still an Ural-Altaic language that you you will never be able to grasp the idea. Middle eastern people have somewhat darker skin compared to Turkish people. It is a perfectly definite idea that Turkish sounds much softer than French, German, Dutch and north germanic languages and that some Arabic, Farsi or Hebrew ones...
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:53 pm GMT
Israel is a Middle Eastern country and it is a few km away from Turkey. I know that Turkish would like to hear that their country is European but not, it's a Middle Eastern country . Deal with it.
Kalari Payattu   Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:35 pm GMT
Turkish doesn't sound like a Middle Eastern language, rather like an Indian language.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_8gt9hnoZf0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=js6NqlAc29I

So for me it's sounds like Hindi.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:08 am GMT
"Israel is a Middle Eastern country and it is a few km away from Turkey. I know that Turkish would like to hear that their country is European but not, it's a Middle Eastern country . Deal with it."

your logic is stupid. it doesn't work that way.

if Turkey is a Middle Eastern country because it's right beside Middle Eastern country like Israel(which it actually isn't) then Greece and Bulgaria should be Middle Eastern countries because its right beside a Middle Eastern country like Turkey, and with that Romania should be a Middle Eastern country because its right beside a ME country like Bulgaria, and if Romania is a ME country then Hungary should be too! then Austria, Germany, France, Spain too !

fyi, I'm not saying Turkey isn't a ME country.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:16 am GMT
Europe is a well-defined region. Only that little sliver of Turkey to the west is in Europe. They'll have to separate before we let them in. Similarly, Russia would have to separate from Siberia to get in. I don't know why France didn't have to give up its colonies though, that's a hard one, and the same with England.
dj   Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:02 pm GMT
it sounds like greek and arabic.