Pretty vs. Beautiful

Oswald   Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
In a recent conversation with native English, native Armenian and native Spanish speakers, we were discussing the differences between various words used to express beauty in those languages. There was considerable disagreement as to the value assigned to each word. Even amongst the native speakers of each language, there was disagreement.

So I ask this forum, in English, can you tell me which is stronger?

Pretty
Beautiful (I always though beautiful meant extremely pretty)

I should also add that the subject at hand was who was hotter, actress X versus actress y. That led to some saying, "well, granted, actress x is pretty, but actress y is beautiful. Then someone said that beautiful referred to a person's inner beauty, which sparked further disagreement. So the question of "pretty" versus "beautiful" relates specifically to superficial beauty, or the perception thereof.
guest   Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
'Pretty' to me refers to one's appearance only: "She's pretty", meaning, she looks attractive.

"Beautiful" on the other hand is more encompassing. It refers to inherent qualities on the inside as well. Also, to attributes considered classic and eternal. When used in reference to apperance, 'beautiful' is stronger than 'pretty'.
guest   Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:43 pm GMT
...also, 'pretty' comes from a word that originally meant 'tricky', and 'pretty' still carries an association to playful attractiveness, alluring flirtiness. It simply means HOT.

Beautiful is just that: "beauty-full", and doesn't necessarily invoke attraction but awe and veneration, as one would to someone who is exemplary, or model-typal (not runway model).
Russconha   Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:47 am GMT
A daisy is pretty while a rose is beautiful.
Skippy   Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:26 am GMT
I'm being a jerk and devil's advocate (as usual) but my exgirlfriend prefers daisies.

By the way, I only remember that because one of my favorite bands at the time was Tripping Daisy. I'm not big into flowers and she didn't break my heart so I remember every detail or anything :-)

"Pretty" connotates "attractive" while "beautiful" connotates either very attractive (like, say, a girl for whom "hot" does not do justice) or beyond attractive (such as Dante's Beatrice).

In my opinion, Lindsay Lohan is pretty (or she was in Mean Girls before she was coke head and anorexic) while Zooey Deschanel is beautiful. I have weird taste though.
Guest   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:21 am GMT
Angela Merkel is pretty, Helen Clarke is beautiful.
Skippy   Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:26 am GMT
lol poor Merkel...

Condoleeza Rice is pretty, Sarah Palin is freakin' BEAUTIFUL!