What language should you learn?

kawaii   Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm GMT
Do a test and find what language should you learn:

http://www.blogthings.com/whatlanguageshouldyoulearnquiz/
Skippy   Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
It told me Chinese. My roommate's from Malaysia and speaks Mandarin as his first language, Cantonese as his second, and knows a few phrases in Malay... I guess I could always just ask him to help... It's just the writing system is such a road block...

Maybe I'll stick to something easy... Like Czech :-P
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:00 pm GMT
Avoid diglossic languages, like Swiss German, Brazilian Portuguese, Arabic, Tamil, Finish...there's one grammar for the spoken language, and another one for the written one...
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
It suggested Swedish for me.
Xie   Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
x2.

But actually, in real terms Dutch is even more probable than Russian for me.

My native language is linguistically diglossic, bi-"schriftliche", and socially multi-glossic as well.
Guest   Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:16 pm GMT
Joder me ha salido spanish ¡¡¡¡¡ pero si lo hablo desde los 3 años !!!!!!

"For you, learning a language is about career advancement and communication.
Knowing Spanish will bring you tons of possibilities for jobs and travel. Bárbaro!"

¿¿ Que coño es eso de Bárbaro ?? ¿¿Quién coño dice Bárbaro ??
bubble   Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 pm GMT
Haha. It told me I should study French. Then I retook it, because I had not been sure which of several answers to pick, and surprise surprise, it told me to go study Japanese.

Funny thing is, I've been studying French on and off since high school, and am now studying Japanese...

This test is clearly mean only for monolingual English speakers.
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:17 pm GMT
Barbaro es usado desde Mexico hasta Argentina y significa que algo es barbaro!! XD.
Guest   Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:35 pm GMT
Desde California hasta Antartica.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:05 am GMT
It gave me French too, but the reasons I answered are the ones that lead me to study Italian.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:19 am GMT
Lame stereotypical nonsense. Each of the options could equally describe each of the languages included.
zatsu   Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:20 am GMT
I took the quiz twice, with different answers, but still got:

"You're cutting edge, and you are ready to delve into wacky Japanese culture.
From Engrish to eating contests, you're born to be a crazy gaijin. Saiko!"

やっぱり外国人ね ^^;;
SJF   Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 am GMT
French.But I do not like French...
David   Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:51 pm GMT
About 20 years ago a high school student in North Dakota one of the most remote places in the U.S. was doing his Spanish homework. He asked his father what good was it to learn Spanish. His father told him that maybe some day he might take a trip to Los Angeles, California.

The most useful language to learn now is Spanish. For business, pleasure or travel it is the most spoken language.
Spanish has more native speakers than native speakers of English.
There are 21 Spanish speaking countries in the world today. The U.S.
is the 4th largest Spanish speaking country in the world. There are over 1,000 TV stations in Spanish and about the same amout of radio stations in Spanish in the U.S. There are more Spanish speakers in Los Angeles, California than there are in Mexico's second largest city Guadalajara. Spanish is practically the first language in Miami, Florida. There are now more Spanish speakers in Kansas than there are in Oklahoma which is closer to Mexico.

All high schools in the U.S. teach Spanish. There is a reason for this.

As if this weren't enough if you can speak Spanish then it is easy to
learn Italian, Portuguese and even French. I know this very well because
I taught high school Spanish for years and am now teaching Italian to Spanish speaking adults. I learned Italian first, then Spanish, then Portuguese and also French.
David   Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:58 pm GMT
I took the test to find out what language I should learn and this is the results:

You Should Learn Spanish

For you, learning a language is about career advancement and communication.
Knowing Spanish will bring you tons of possibilities for jobs and travel. Bárbaro!