Should I Study French or German In College?

R. Chan   Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:57 am GMT
Okay, here's the deal. I am a native English speaker in the USA. My major in college is physics. But I want (and possibly need) to choose a second language to learn and/or major in to help my chances of getting a great job in the future.

I understand that there have been a lot of German scientists and innovators in the past. In fact, Germany and other German-speaking countries have contributed much to the sciences in the past I believe. But then again, French has also been a big contributor in science. I like both cultures, so that isn't the problem. The problem is choosing the language that would prove most useful in the long run for my field of study.

Lastly, I have heard that Germans speak excellent English. Plus, I have heard that most German-speakers don't like non-speakers to be "trying out" their language if they can't speak it well. So, I am wondering if there is actually a point to studying German since most of them supposedly speak it well.

Thanks.
R. Chan   Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:04 am GMT
Sorry about this message everyone. I am new to website, so I didn't realize there was another forum for languages. Please disregard this one. I will discuss this topic in the other forum. Thanks.