Blind Chinamen

Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:57 am GMT
How do blind chinamen read because in western languages we have a system called braille or some shit like that where you touch little knobs and understand it. But how do chinese do it because their languages are complex as fuck with characters etc!!! Do they use pinyin? Or do they not care about blind people there?

Thank you and good day.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:12 am GMT
Also how do Chinese people: Type (what keyboard has enough keys for all those words?), use a dictionary (how is it organized with no alphabet?), know how to pronounce a word they arent familiar with, etc....
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:04 am GMT
Also do Chinese have neologisms, by that I mean are you allowed to invent new characters? Or do they just stick together old characters with a new meaning?
PARISIEN   Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:45 am GMT
<< Also how do Chinese people: Type (what keyboard has enough keys for all those words?) >>
-- In Japan even very young people exchange messages with their cell phones typing in Latin characters (romaji). Then the processor automatically converts into Japanese writing. I suppose the Chinese don't do otherwise.

The huge inventories of Asian characters was a big problem with traditional typesetting. Years of practice were necessary. Computer technology has simplified all that.

Japanese Braille however is based on syllabic hiragana (there are enough dot combinations to cover all syllabes). I think Chinese Braille is based on a Latin transcription (pinyin).
Legs   Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:36 am GMT
懒的理你这个傻逼!
sino   Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:30 pm GMT
楼主要么未成年,要么装傻,要么真傻。
Xie   Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:46 pm GMT
哈哈, 談得這麼興奮!
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:44 am GMT
So can you invent new characters or not?
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:46 am GMT
You can. Just don't expect other people to understand them.
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:10 am GMT
Korean has moved from using traditional Chinese characters to a form of phonetics system that resembles characters.

I believe the Japanese have a part Character/ part phonetic system in their writing system? Someone care to correct me?
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:26 am GMT
How did the Koreans overcome the whole "we can't give up our cultural heritage" debate?
Dans   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:49 am GMT
<How did the Koreans overcome the whole "we can't give up our cultural heritage" debate? >

If you were referring to my comment above your one - it was totally unrelated to that issue you brought up.

I am not Korean but was curious on their writing system one of the few East Asian countries that have fully adopted a phonetic based writing script. It is in my opinion the easliest ones to "draw".

LOL I had a friend of mine to draw a traditional chinese character in seconds while it took me like hours to copy it.
Guest   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:53 am GMT
How could it take hours to write one character?
Dans   Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:59 am GMT
For me it did - having one stoke out of place completely changed the total context of the character - after I mastered to "draw" it correctly - my friend said that there is a particular way of drawing the character ie. which stoke is drawn first, etc.
Xie   Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:49 pm GMT
Just like phonemes, they aren't vital at times. But I'm turned off immediately when someone writes in the wrong order, which is like spelling a word wrongly.