Why do Romance language speakers constantly mention Latin?

JLK   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:08 pm GMT
Seriously, I've never know a group so obnoxiously obsessed with the history of their language. Latin is dead. What is left now are mere unintelligible dialects, shadows of what was a great language. English is the new Latin. Lets accept the 21st century shall we...?
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
It's just ONE idiot hispanic who spends too much time theorizing and stretching facts. That's all. He's a pain in everyone's @ss, isn't he?
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
<<What is left now are mere unintelligible dialects, shadows of what was a great language.>>

According to some on this forum, Latin was so great that even these modern shadows of it stand head-and-shoulders above all other IE languages, especially English and the Germanic languages. Apparently, thinking and talking in a Latin-based language on a daily basis is something to be proud of.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
Those guys are just nostalgic trolls...
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:23 pm GMT
<<Seriously, I've never know a group so obnoxiously obsessed with the history of their language.>>

Well, when you have nothing else to be proud of...

desperation's a bitch, isn't she?
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:27 pm GMT
Because the Romance speakers can claim their language derives from a prestiged one, Latin. If Old Norse had the same role as Latin in Ancient Times, we would have Old Norse even in the soup.
A pain in your ass   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
<<Seriously, I've never know a group so obnoxiously obsessed with the history of their language. Latin is dead. What is left now are mere unintelligible dialects, shadows of what was a great language. English is the new Latin. Lets accept the 21st century shall we...? >>

English have to pass the proff of time. For sure it is the lingua franca nowadays, but French too a century ago . Probably this status will only last a few decades, nothing comparable to Latin which was the lingua franca from the century II BC until the XVIII century. As you can see, English has a long road to follow to become half as important as Latin was and still is for the Humanity.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
<<English is the new Latin>>
jajajaja. What funny you are!
Guestg   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:34 pm GMT
English is the new French but not the new Latin. Nobody will remember English in the XXXX century.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 pm GMT
>>Latin is dead.

No, Latin it's not dead. Every Romance language IS LATIN as is spoken today. Unlike Ancient Greek who has only one daughter - Modern Greek - Latin has many more - to many to all be called "Modern" Latin.
Sorry for my English.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 pm GMT
Latin simply evolved, it didn't dissapear.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
doesn't 30% of the english vocabulary come from latin? so english is just a Germanic language with a Romance vocabulary.
Accept it once and for all
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:43 pm GMT
<<It's just ONE idiot hispanic who spends too much time theorizing and stretching facts. That's all. He's a pain in everyone's @ss, isn't he?>>

It's just ONE idiot French Fanatic (Cajun or Canadian, I don't know for sure) who spends too much time theorizing and stretching facts. That's all. He's a pain in everyone's @ss, isn't he?
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm GMT
doesn't 30% of the english vocabulary come from latin?

It's 60% the real percentage.
Guest   Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
<<It's just ONE idiot French Fanatic (Cajun or Canadian, I don't know for sure) who spends too much time theorizing and stretching facts. That's all. He's a pain in everyone's @ss, isn't he? >>

I don't think so. The French speakers prefer to be told how much influenced by Old Germanic French was, no matter it is false. They are traitors to the Latinity and the venerable Latin language.