Where do Korean and Japanese language originate from?

J.C.   Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:45 pm GMT
Thanks for the kanjis (hanja).
It's amazing to see readings that are exactly like in Japanese.
However, I guess that it takes too long to learn the characters properly. That might be a burden to people to learn their native language properly. I wonder if that isn't a reason why people who use characters have a hard time learning other languages...
Guest   Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:31 pm GMT
Kanjis/Hanja are obsolete in Korea, and not used anymore. Only in some old books. Textbooks, prose and magazines don't use it.

Korean would be an easy language to learn, if it weren't for so complicated phonetics and phonology (there are 5 consonants between p and b! )
K. T.   Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:11 am GMT
"Even though many westerners try, it is VERY difficult to get the 1kyuu. Personally I don't have it because I'm always sleeping during the 読解 part of the test!! :) Also, I don't like that nasty listening test when that kind of Japanese will never be heard in Osaka!!hehe
But seriously, everytime I tried the 1kyu in Japan there were only Chinese and Koreans with exception of me and another westerner. In Brazil most people applying for 1kyu were nikkeis.
I really gotta read "The Japanese language" by Andrew Miller again so I can have a better perspective of the relationshio between Korean and Japanese."-J. C.

I have the same impression about the JLPT. Even though Chinese and Korean are distinct, that Chinese connection helps a lot with the characters. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't pass the first level eventually if you get some rest.
J.C.   Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
"I have the same impression about the JLPT. Even though Chinese and Korean are distinct, that Chinese connection helps a lot with the characters. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't pass the first level eventually if you get some rest.”
Thanks for the advice, K.Tさん!
To be honest my biggest problem for getting the 1kyu must be because I didn't feel any difficulty in terms of written or spoken communication even in the first time I came to Japan in 1993, which was the year when I took the 2kyu...
Also, when I did my master's a attended lessons normally and didn't have any problem doing my presentations or writing my dissertation.
I bought the books for studying but besides boring, the contents don't help in everyday life...
The part I hate the most is listening because one must mark the RIGHT and WRONG answer, namely, the test wants to see if you are paying attention and not if you REALLY understand...
I tried the 1kyu for the last time in 1998 and got 270 out of 400 (280 is necassary for passing)...I still remember one question in the listening section.

1)ーさんは駅からアまで行きたいですがどのように行けば良いのでしょうか。

あ)駅からまっすぐ行けばいいです(Then I marked RIGHT first)
い)この日に工事があるので通っては行けません。その代わり駅の裏の道を通らなければいけません。
I forgot the other options but I always get stuck with the questions which try to CONFUSE the applicant instead of ASSESSING his/her language skills!!!
Therefore I think that JLPT sucks!!! :)
K. T.   Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:52 pm GMT
" I didn't feel any difficulty in terms of written or spoken communication even in the first time I came to Japan in 1993, which was the year when I took the 2kyu... "

That's great. You had good preparation, then-fantastic preparation. You are very close to passing the first level, I think.

Yes, those questions are tricky, stilted actually. I have several practice books. I need to study them.
Darth Vader   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
<<How can a student abuse his teacher after he get knowledge and education from this teacher? If he can, he will not be regarded as an eligible student. >>

Korea: When I left you, I was but the learner; Now I am the Master!

China: Only a Mastah of Evil, Darth!
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 am GMT
"Chinese characters suck. The Koreans knew what they were doing. "

Hanja/Kanji/Hanzi is used for calligraphy. Hangul cannot be used for calligraphy. Neither can kana or higara.

That says a lot, doesn't it? Chinese characters (traditional, not simplified) is the only type of characters that can be used for East Asia calligraphy.
LOLZ   Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 am GMT
@Darth Vader

"Korea: When I left you, I was but the learner; Now I am the Master!

China: Only a Mastah of Evil, Darth! "

Rofl, I laughed so hard when I read that
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:41 am GMT
Korea: When I left you, I was but the learner; Now I am the Master!

China: Only a Mastah of Evil, Darth!>>

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1337!!!11!!!