Are you dyslexic?

Rob   Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:48 pm GMT
I have noticed that dyslexia seems to be rife on antimoon. Just take a look at these examples:

/pOz/ -> [p_hO:z] or [p_hO:z_0]
/pOz/ -> [p_hO:z] or [p_hO:z_0]
/porz/ -> [p_ho:r\z] or [p_ho:r\z_0]

This poor guy made several attempts but still failed to spell correctly.

And then there's this:

[??n t?u? ð? ?s???nz ?v swi?t ?sa?l?nt ???t? a? ?s?m?n ?p r??m?mb??ns ?v ???z p?æst a? sa? ð? læk? ?v ?m?n? ? ??? a? s??t b?t ?f ð? ?a?? a? ???k ?n ði? de?? f??nd ?? ?l?s?z ?? ???sto?d ænd ?s??o?z ?nd]

No doubt the result of growing up in an impoverished environment with inadequate schooling.
^.^   Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:01 pm GMT
Get some glasses and learn a bit of Icelandic, Rob. It's perfectly readable with these prerequisites.
Brennus   Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:11 pm GMT
Rob,

I think there's some truth in what you say however we all make typographical errors when we're in a hurry and this web site has no editing button (probably for economic reasons).

I've read that everyone has some degree of Dyslexia naturally. However only in the more extreme cases would it be cause for concern.

Re: "No doubt the result of growing up in an impoverished environment with inadequate schooling. "

In some instances yes. However this is where a site like Antimoon can be helpful and we can all help each other out.
Guest   Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:28 am GMT
Brennus, he was being sarcastic about some people who take great pleasure in posting a lot of transcriptions.
Brennus   Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:24 am GMT
Guest, hi. You have a point. Of course, anyone who reads internet web sites these days (probably Rob included) automatically recognizes poor grammar and spelling in a lot of the posts and even a lot of artificial, short-hand spellings for words like U (You), luv (love), pleez (please) etc.

Perfect writers and spellers didn't exist in my generation either - the so-called "Baby boomer" generation (kind of a myth created by the media); Heck, no. However, I'd say that we were still about 60% better at it than today's high school graduates.
Sanja   Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:35 pm GMT
"I've read that everyone has some degree of Dyslexia naturally."

EVERYONE? Are you sure? Well, what would it look like if we didn't have any at all? Because I don't think I have. LOL :)
Damian in Edinburgh   Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:36 pm GMT
I'm not dyslexic but my keyboard is.