What do u think of Oprah's accent?

Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:51 am GMT
What do u think of Oprah's accent? Do u like her accent?
Brian Milan   Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:28 am GMT
It's nothing special. One time though, I noticed the way she pronounced the letter A before N or M (such as in the words "pancreatic cancer", which she was talking about) and that got on my nerves. It sounded as if she was over-enunciating
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:45 am GMT
shes an american black women, what can you expect from an american and from a black woman, you expect to rival the british?
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:00 am GMT
Apparently her personal wealth is greater than the national reserves of small countries in the under developed Third World so I reckon she's entitled to talk in any way she likes. She sounds just fine to me - easy to understand and quite easy on the ear. Anyway, she devotes quite a lot of her time improving the lot of people in those under developed countries in the Third World, so good on her.
Guest   Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:15 am GMT
Her accent is partially low back merged (she's transitional)
Sometimes she pronounces words in the Midland way, sometimes she has obvious Californian vowel shift. One thing is sure, she doesn't have either Lakers (Chicago) accent or Southern accent. Her accent is a mix of LA and Columbus accents.
Jasper   Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:51 pm GMT
<<shes an american black women, what can you expect from an american and from a black woman, you expect to rival the british?>>

Naked intolerance is ugly.

As for Oprah's accent? She took diction lessons in college. It's probably a manufactured GA dialect.