All right: British versus American usage

Rose   Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:36 am GMT
Hi there!

I'm working on a story at the moment, and it features British characters, and I myself am American. I'm trying not to overdo the attempts at stereotypical Britspeak, as I'm sure I'll get it wrong or over the top, but like most writers, I do obsess over the details.

My question is: in what ways is "all right" used in British English?

I know that it can be used as Americans use it, in a positive, exclamatory manner (ie. excellent! good! etc). It's also used as a greeting. But I was wondering if something like "that roast was all right" - as in, just all right, not great -would have the same meaning if said by a British native rather than an American.

I apologize if this is a silly question! Thank you for takin the time to give it a read.
Genetd   Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
Mostly they say like in France, you know, they got there all right on time. Like if you say to your friends if they are down with the cool talking and they say, all right jack I'm cool to that. Yo dig it out it's all right. You say it like that in your story too. You have to be down with it. It's the same in UK as in France. we say, "all right homi I'm down with the dancing tonite" Or if Snoopy Dogg had a fiance and he said "all right beeatch, go now and get some cold beers for drinking cuz my homis are thirsty and we're down with drinking the cold beers before we go to the dancing party."
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:07 am GMT
The term "All right" depends on the context you use it.

I myself would often use the term to agree but imply hesitation, especially when under duress.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:07 am GMT
The term "All right" depends on the context you use it.

I myself would often use the term to agree but imply hesitation, especially when under duress.
To Genetd   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:17 am GMT
You crack me up everytime, mate. Keep up the good work :).
BTW, I'm assuming you are just taking the piss out of gangsta-speak, because if you really speak like that, and think you sound cool, you're way off the mark there, son.
Damian   Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:16 am GMT
English people use "all right" more than we do in Scotland when it's used on its own as a general greeting - meaning a combination of "hi" or "hello" and at the same time an enquiry about the other person's general situation. Such as when two guys, in particular, meet up and one says to the other "All right?" and the other responds "Yeah, mate, fine!" or "Yeah, mate, good!" I noticed it particularly when I was working down in London, and when the dialogue is conducted in Londonspeak Estuary then it sounds so much better. Something like:
"Aw'white?" "Yeah, mite - foin!" or "Yeah, mite - good!"

When making a general enquiry about somebody's condition, especially when it raises a certain amount of concern for whatever reason, then the most widely used term anywhere in the UK is "Are you alright?" -"alright" being the normal substitute for "all right".

Also, when someone asks for your opinion on anything, no matter what it is, and you are not really all that enthusiastic about it for whatever reason, not particularly head over heels in love with it, then you can display your lack of enthusiasm by simply saying "It's all right", meaning "It'll do - it's better than nothing".

And when you have explained something to someone in some detail, and you want to ensure they have understood what you have said, you simply ask "Right?" Or if you are a Londoner/South East Englander: "Woite?" or even better still in Estuaryspeak: "Woi'?"
Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:22 pm GMT
Damian offers some great points. I suspect however that a Brit would simply say the roast was "o.k" or "average" and perhaps not say "all right".
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:02 am GMT
-"Aw'woit?" "Yah, mite - foin!" or "Yah, mite - gewd!" -

Is it Cockney or Estuary?
furrykef   Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:43 am GMT
Another thing to note is that "all right" becomes simply "right" in phrases like, "All right, who said that?" -> "Right, who said that?" (I don't know whether or not "all right" is also used in this context.)
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:53 pm GMT
<< All right: British versus American usage >>

Why are not other forms of English being considered here?
louise   Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:11 pm GMT
<< All right: British versus American usage >>

Why are not other forms of English being considered here?

Because the person who began this post wants to specifically know about the English. She's writing a book.
George   Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:36 pm GMT
I'm Cornish, but have moved around Britain a bit, so have that in mind with my usage. The exact meaning of 'all right' depends on the intonation.

As a greeting, it doesn't have to be directly answered. That is I could say to 'alright?' and the other person could reply 'alright?' and neither of us would actually answer the question asked. Here you're tone should go up at the end to indicate it's a question.

Saying 'That roast was alright' can have two meanings:

If your tone goes up at the end in a slightly exclamatory manner, that generally means it was good and often means 'better than expected'. For example, 'I had to go to my Uncle's for dinner last weekend and I wasn't looking forward to the meal at all as he is a terrible cook, but, actually, it was alright!

If your tone goes down, it means it was tolerable. For example,
'How was that play you got cheap tickets for?'
'Oh, it was alright. You get what you pay for, I suppose.'