Languages in Spain

Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:38 pm GMT
<<Te equivocas. Seguro que mi último aliento de vida será para decir algo en español:
Mamá, Te Quiero. >>

You'd better just stick to "Mutti, ich lieb' dich" because she'll be speaking German by that time
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
popular? or an easy 'A'?

English is just compusory in France and Italy. Spanish is popular there.
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
Spanish is now studied more than French in portugal and is increasing in Ireland, UK (where is going to overcome German in less than 5 years) in Italy (where is studied more that German in secondary education, (but at all levels wins German) Where will overtake German and French at 5 and 10 years respectively, and in the countries of the north and east.

In the report of the EU (Eurobarometer) in 2000 only 3% of European citizens spoke Spanish as second/foreign language but the report of 2005 is spoken by 9% in the europe of 27 (+6 in only 5 years !!!!!!!!!!). People, we have to wait until 2010 to see the next report of the EU (Eurobarometer) possibly where the percentage of Spanish speakers will be very close to the German and French as second languages, both languages are now 14% in europe. I see Spanish as the second most studied in the EU in less than 15 years
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
even I took Spanish in college for a skate...
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
<< popular? or an easy 'A'? >>

Spanish is more difficult than English .
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:53 pm GMT
<<Spanish is more difficult than English .>>

depends who you ask, i can assure to you that a Portuguese, a Brazilian, a Italian, Romanian, Angolese, Senegalese will tell you that English is much more difficult
guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:56 pm GMT
<<depends who you ask, i can assure to you that a Portuguese, a Brazilian, a Italian, Romanian, Angolese, Senegalese will tell you that English is much more difficult >>

true

only a Frisian, Dutch, German or Scandinavian person would find English easier, because they are germanic languages just like English and English is a germanic language with germanic vocabulary and grammar. Everybody knows that.

(does this kinda ring a bell to anyone? :)
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:04 pm GMT
80% of English vocabulary is Latin.
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:08 pm GMT
<<80% of English vocabulary is Latin. >>

No. MENTIRA!

es 99% Latin! an' es eess esteell ghermanico~! ole!
Maverick   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:11 pm GMT
<<only a Frisian, Dutch, German or Scandinavian person would find English easier, because they are germanic languages just like English and English is a germanic language with germanic vocabulary and grammar. Everybody knows that. >>

I'm inclined to believe you.

I once met a man speaking German, and I understood him perfectly, because English and German hve 85% lexical similarity.

<<80% of English vocabulary is Latin. >> This is garbage. Everyone knows English is almost 100% germanic.
Duke   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:15 pm GMT
yeah, English is 100% German. Dutch and English are sister languages. Does anyone know whether English and Dutch are mutually intelligible? And what about English and Scots?
Guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:20 pm GMT
<<yeah, English is 100% German. Dutch and English are sister languages. Does anyone know whether English and Dutch are mutually intelligible? And what about English and Scots? >>

Right.
English and Dutch have a 92% lexical similarity, so it makes complete sense that they would
(although I've never met a Dutch-speaking person myself before or heard the Dutch language)

Spanish is 52% Dutch.
guest   Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:23 pm GMT
hmmm
tastes like Robitussin...
JGreco   Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:33 am GMT
English is not mutually intelligible with any of the Germanic languages. Even though core English is completely German because of pronunciation and deviation away from the Germanic family English is quickly becoming a language isolate and if not for world importance of English people would not be familiar with it. Trust me, I am American and I live near many majority monolinguist would would not be able to understand a lick of any Germanic languages.
Guest   Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:39 am GMT
Spanish is becoming very popular in Italy because camorra invested a lot of money in Barcelona and Madrid.