Reply to a question about Romance languages

Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:13 am GMT
"I think what makes romanian different, is that its more latin than other romance languages."

Then again, it has more Slavic (if not the only) influences than the others. Esti is pronounced 'esht' for example.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:39 am GMT
"LES ENFANTS - Even English is more phonetic than French in this example. lol"

French is sometimes more confusing then English, In French the lasts few letters are useless. Why the French academie does not make a spelling reforme, french needs that as bad as English. It will make our lives so much easier
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:49 am GMT
>> It will make our lives so much easier <<

No, that's a bit exaggerated. A breeding machine for frogs, now THAT would make your lives easier.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:43 pm GMT
lol ... pwned
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:16 pm GMT
<<No , they are Celtic.>>

French nasals are germanic
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:37 pm GMT
Italian is closer to Spanish than to French, by far. French grammar is as hard as Spanish and has pretty much the same amount of irregular verbs. But Spanish is easier to pronounce because it has just 5 vowel sounds.
guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:55 pm GMT
<<Italian is closer to Spanish than to French>>

only in how the language sounds

otherwise, it's French

just accept the truth
guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:21 pm GMT
I agree that Italian is closer to Spanish only in how the language sounds. Otherwise, it's closer to French.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:31 pm GMT
nobody, and certainly no linguists, will care for what you agree on or disagree with.
Alessandro   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:37 pm GMT
Ethnologue.com

Italian: 89% lexical similarity with French, 87% with Catalan, 85% with Sardinian, 82% with Spanish, 78% with Rheto-Romance, 77% with Rumanian.

Regional varieties coexist with the standard language; some are inherently unintelligible (Nida) to speakers of other varieties unless they have learned them.
Aquilano, Molisano, and Pugliese are very different from the other Italian 'dialects'.
Piemontese and Sicilian are distinct enough to be separate languages (F.B. Agard 1981, personal communication).
Venetian and Lombard are also very different (Philippe Cousson 1981, personal communication).
Neapolitan is reported to be unintelligible to speakers of Standard Italian. Northern varieties are closer to French and Occitan than to standard or southern varieties (Agard, N. Vincent).
Possibly nearly half the population do not use Standard Italian as mother tongue.
Only 2.5% of Italy's population could speak standard Italian when it became a unified nation in 1861.
Luigi   Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:54 pm GMT
Most Italian would have serious problems understanding French.
Alessandro   Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
"Northern varieties are closer to French and Occitan than to standard or southern varieties (Agard, N. Vincent)."

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ThTYwD3HFBQ
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMmGAJWnUA
Rocco   Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm GMT
<<nobody, and certainly no linguists, will care for what you agree on or disagree with. >>

I am an italian linguist. I care, and I agree with them. I understand French much more than I understand Spanish.

<<Most Italian would have serious problems understanding French. >>

Luigi, sono veramente italiano? Credo che lei potrebbe essere uno spagnolo impostore.
Guest   Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:26 pm GMT
<<<<Most Italian would have serious problems understanding French. >>

Luigi, sono veramente italiano? Credo che lei potrebbe essere uno spagnolo impostore. >>

Yeah. "Luigi"--that's real original, Mexican
Rocco   Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:31 pm GMT
Sono an italian linguist. I'm also the CEO of a big Italian corporation and I play for the Milan in my spare time. And yes I'm also the pope and as such speak "ex cathedra".