How Useful Is Russian?

Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:11 am GMT
Second part: do you think that because it is an official language of the United Nations, that automatically makes it more important than many other languages such as Bengali (although there are more speakers) and even German?
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:22 am GMT
Yes, as far as politics is concerned.

Though, you must ask yourself if politics alone is what you consider important when learning a language...
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:26 am GMT
Well, the politics aspect surely makes me happy. Then again, I also like the culture as well as the language itself so it's not just politics motivating me
mac   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:03 am GMT
Actually, I've been trying to decide which language I would like to study next: French or Russian. They both have pros and cons, but I already speak English and decent Spanish, so maybe another western Euro language won't be of much use to me.

I appreciate French and all but I think looking at the future economically, strategically and politically, maybe Russian would be more beneficial. That and Chinese, but I'm not motivated enough to memorize characters and I'm scared of tones to be honest.

Or I could be ambitious and do French and Russian (I've started a little French already) if I can find the time.

I've looked into German also, and as much as I appreciate the culture and heritage (I'm part German) I'm not really attracted to the language. Sorry German ancestors. Plus it seems that many Germans are competent English speakers already.
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:11 am GMT
You ought to go for something different. Life's too short to learn the same language over and over again.
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:29 am GMT
Can be useful only with Russian girls.
Guest   Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 am GMT
Mac, you should ultimately learn the language that will interest you the most. Even if you learn Russian but aren't interested in it, you'll have a lousy time throughout the process.

But if you really want a challenge, Russian is the way to go. And if you're up to a big challenge, Mandarin Chinese is the best option. Tones aren't that difficult once you get used to it.