Native discovery

MollyB   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:49 am GMT
Let's say that for years, based on you native intuition, you had been telling students that an certain item was not used in a certain registers/text-types/genres. What if, by searching many corpora, you found out that the item in question was actually used and very frequently in such registers/text-types/genres? What would you do? What would be your reaction?
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:53 am GMT
It's no big deal. The English language is far too vast for any single person to have a fully comprehensive knowledge of all its details.
MollyB   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:02 am GMT
<It's no big deal. The English language is far too vast for any single person to have a fully comprehensive knowledge of all its details. >

I agree, but would you, against the "evidence" from corpora, continue telling student that the item in question is not used in a certain registers/text-types/genres?
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:13 am GMT
An example might be helpful here.

In general, there are lots of dialects of English all over the place with different grammar rules. That's why whenever there's a post here asking whether or not some sentence is "right", I can only answer that it's not the way I'd say it in my particular dialect.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:36 am GMT
An example of the kind of thing you're referring to would be useful in formulating a response...
greg   Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:52 pm GMT
La première chose à faire serait de reconnaître son erreur, puis d'en expliquer l'origine objective afin que tous (prof compris) sachent rester humbles et vigilants face aux certitudes trompeuses qui sont le propre de la langue.

Je ne sais plus quelle est la formulation exacte, "Lingua rerum optima et pessima est" ou "Et optima et pessima pars corporis est lingua", mais dans tous les cas la langue est effectivement la meilleure et la pire des choses. La langue maternelle nous est si intime qu'on pense la posséder toute, mais elle est aussi, et surtout, une entité sociale dont des pans entiers nous échappent, à notre insu.
Pos   Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:02 pm GMT
<<That's why whenever there's a post here asking whether or not some sentence is "right", I can only answer that it's not the way I'd say it in my particular dialect. >>

And what is your particular dialect?
Claude   Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:05 pm GMT
***La première chose à faire serait de reconnaître son erreur, puis d'en expliquer l'origine objective afin que tous (prof compris) sachent rester humbles et vigilants face aux certitudes trompeuses qui sont le propre de la langue. ****

Greg

Pourquoi c'est que vous êtes tel un idiot ?
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:21 pm GMT
<<And what is your particular dialect? >>

My dialect is an impure form of US English. I've moved around, so I don't really have a proper regional dialect.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
I'd wonder why Pos and MollyB always post in the same threads.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
<<I'd wonder why Pos and MollyB always post in the same threads. >>

DID? (maybe Pos is an alter, or perhaps MollyB is the alter?)
Not Greg   Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
Greg... what's the deal? why do you always post in French? You obviously understand English or he wouldn't be responding to the issues in the first place.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 pm GMT
<,Greg... what's the deal? why do you always post in French? You obviously understand English or he wouldn't be responding to the issues in the first place. >>

oh yeah, greggy greg knows English

and spanish
and german

(shhhh, he's the devil...)
Pos   Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
<<I'd wonder why Pos and MollyB always post in the same threads. >>

Because we are business colleagues and keep each other informed on forum life.
Guest   Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:36 pm GMT
Search through the old posts in the archive of this forum and you will actually find greg writing in English, of all things!