Do Hawaiians have General American accent?

George   Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:47 pm GMT
Both the islands and the food were named after the Earl of Sandwich.
JohnnyC   Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:22 am GMT
yeah right, and i'm the duke of pizza. I just need an island to put my slavegirls and my pizza makers. I'd like to set up shop on one of the Hawain Islands so me, my slaves girls and my NY pizza makers can teach those fucking natives how to speak in a manner that humans can understand them. First we'll make them learn the American alphabet and after we shove that down their throats, it's time for them to stop eating dogs and poi and get on board with some big kahuna burgers. Changing their diet will go a long way toward relieving them of that pointing and grunting pigeon shit they talk over there.

That's where the US dropped the ball. They invaded and didn't do a good job of assimilation. You left them without a language. So when they communicate now it's on a level of a 4 year old. How do you expect any of them to grow up and do anything but work in the sugar fields if yu don't allow them to learn real language???

I'm from Toronto. In Canada, we haven't done a good job of teaching the French to speak well either. They stick with their 500 year old French which even the Parisians can't understand and has fewer words than any other mini-language.
George   Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:07 pm GMT
I don't feel the need to justify my statement to you, JohnnyC, but for everyone else's benefit, the title Earl of Sandwich came before the use of the word as a form of food.

I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but friends have told me lack of assimilation is not really the problem in Hawai'i. If anything it is getting harder and harder to find genuine native Hawai'ians and less than a quarter of the population claims to be such. I've heard scholarships and the like intended for Hawai'ian native are relaxing their rules of what is an Hawai'ian native in order to fill them.
JohnnyC   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:50 am GMT
<<I don't feel the need to justify my statement to you, JohnnyC, but for everyone else's benefit,...>

No... George, it's no problem. Any time you want to justify your statement I'm totally fine with it. I may disagree with you, i.e. you may be wrong, but there's no shame in that! You'll come up to speed. Give yourself time. part of your post (see below) is already spot on, so don't be so hard on yourself.

<<the title Earl of Sandwich came before the use of the word as a form of food.>>

LOL!! I think you're wrong. That doesn't sound right to me. That must have been hilarious when he introduced himself! I bet people laughed their ass off even back then. They probably said "yeah man, I'm the Prince of Pasta!, the Baron of Burgers!"

<<I can't speak from first-hand knowledge, but friends have told me lack of assimilation is not really the problem in Hawai'i.>>

I concede your point and I'm glad to hear it. I hate listening to those guys butcher the language. And if that shit's on the decline, good for them.
Skippy   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:25 am GMT
The word "sandwich" is attributed to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich. "Earl of Sandwich" is a title that was in effect over 100 years before the modern meaning came into usage.

The story is that because John Montagu was such a gambler, he would eat meat between slices of bread at the gambling tables rather than get up and have a proper meal.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
Sandwich......the name has connections to the English aristocracy...ie there really is a Lord Sandwich.

Sandwich is also the name of a seaside town on the coast of Kent, England, overlooking the English Channel, just north of Dover.

Just a few miles from Sandwich is a small village called simply Ham.

Many of the road signposts in that area of Kent have the names Ham and Sandwich on them with the relative distances to each place in miles from the particular location of the signposts, as in:

HAM 3 miles
SANDWICH 7 miles

Way off beam, off course, and absolutely nothing at all to do with Hawaii, but there you go. Foolishly I was prompted to post this crap by the foregoing message.

OK let's try and make this post legit - I would be interested to know if many people in Hawaii speak the native tongue, if at all it exists in the first place. Does it? I probably know just about as much about Hawaii as a Hawaiian would know about the Kingdom of Fife, except for pineapples and grass skirts and those flowery garlands they wear round their necks the names of which I cannot remember......lei? I always thought the lei was the currency of Romania.
Wintereis   Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:28 am GMT
<<I would be interested to know if many people in Hawaii speak the native tongue, if at all it exists in the first place. Does it?>>

Yes they do (but not all) and yes it does. It is mostly spoken in order to presurve culture. As you yourself have demonstrated, you know some Polynesian words. I'm sure you know aloha too. Which is the Hawaiian equivalent to the Italian Ciao--hello and goodbye. My brother has a tattoo of a honu (sea turtle) on his leg from the years he lived in Hawaii with his wife (of Samoan and Irish ancestry), becoming a master reef diver. And his son, due in August, will be named Kai (Hawaiian variant meaning "the sea"). One interesting thing to note about the Hawaiian language, since you say that you know little of it, is that it has only twelve letters in its alphabet, five vowels and seven consonants.

"The Polynesian languages are a language family spoken in the region known as Polynesia. They are classified as part of the Austronesian family, belonging to the Eastern Eastern Malayo-Polynesian branch of that family. They fall into two branches: Tongic and Nuclear Polynesian.

There are approximately forty Polynesian languages. The most prominent of these are Tahitian, Samoan, Tongan, Māori, and Hawaiian. Because the Polynesian islands were settled relatively recently and because internal linguistic diversification only began around 2,000 years ago, their languages retain strong commonalities. There are two broad subgroups: Tongan and Niuean constitute the Tongic division and all others are considered part of the Nuclear Polynesian division."
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 am GMT
Very interesting, Wintereis.....many thanks for your very informative post. Of course I know "aloha"! I forgot that one. I can almost hear the Hawaiian music and the sound of the waves on the shores of Honolulu as I type this....nice.

Aloha!