need help, american english difference

Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:05 am GMT
Hi, can soemone please identify the following:

Consider the word 'lodge'. Sometimes Americans will say it like 'lowdge', other times they will say it like 'laahdge' , with a pure 'a' sound rather than 'o'. Can someone tell me what areas it is pronounced like this and does this feature have a name?

Thank you
Skippy   Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:25 pm GMT
It's pronounced with an /a/ as in "father."
Guest   Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:25 pm GMT
or like Roger, as in, Roger Lodge
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:53 pm GMT
Skip do you say lodger and larger the same?
Badjack   Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:41 pm GMT
Lodger and father have the same vowel sound as in "clock" for those of us who are low back mergers. "Larger" however has an R in it and being a rhotic speaker, I would pronounce the R in "farther" making the vowel sound completely different from "father" or "clock"
Skippy   Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 pm GMT
No, I pronounce the /r\/ in "larger." I'm from Texas, so I pronounce pretty much every written "r."