Cornish conspiracy theory ?

Kernowyon   Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:20 pm GMT
I see the Cornish language is making a comeback - "there has been a huge change in perception and awareness of the language over the past 10 years and it is beginning to be taught in schools." - could it be the next Hebrew ? The UK government recently allocated just £80,000 per year for three years of direct central government funding to the Cornish language. Although pleased with this development there have been concerns in Cornwall (Kernow) that during the same period for example the Ulster-Scots language is being allocated £1,000,000 per year of direct government funding. This comes after the British government acknowledged in its 1st European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages compliance report that: "There are no current demands from within the school system for Ulster-Scots to be taught as a language." There have been concerns that while the ECRML Level II Cornish language remains in the slow lane, the Ulster-Scots language is to be made a ECRML Level III language.

Yma mordardh da ha glan hedhyw, gwren ni mos dhe'n treth ? Gwell via genev pinta korev !!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/7074487.stm
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:44 pm GMT
Isn't it nice to live in a prosperous era where a lack of tuly horrendous problems in Europe allows the EU and the UK to spend so much effort and money fostering minority languages?

I wonder how long this era will last, and what will cause it to end?
Skippy   Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:18 pm GMT
Only a lack of funding.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:50 pm GMT
It's better to spend money in reviving languages rather than in bloody wars like US does.

To the moderator: delete this message if you want. I will repost it all the time.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:12 pm GMT
They may as well fund languages which actually have a bit of a chance, like Welsh or Irish or Gaelic. But Cornish is dead and will never live again.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:19 pm GMT
Hebrew was dead and now it's alive. If there is material enough about Cornish it can revived.
Guest   Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
Hahaha, yes, Hebrew was revived, but there is no millennium old Cornish religion or a Cornish state planned to give it the impetus it needs.
Guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
I'm planning the Cornish state right now, so hahaha to you!
guest   Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:42 pm GMT
<<but there is no millennium old Cornish religion or a Cornish state planned to give it the impetus it needs. >>

This definitely is a good first step in the direction of creating one (Cornish state)...
Johan   Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:08 pm GMT
<<This definitely is a good first step in the direction of creating one (Cornish state)... >>

Looks like they've already started !

http://duchyofcornwall.eu/duchy05.php