Two expressions.

Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 am GMT
Do you feel there is a difference in meaning here?

1. spoken standard English
2. standard spoken English
Johnny   Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 am GMT
I would say #2. English -> Spoken English -> Standard Spoken English.
I don't like #1 very much, but I suppose it's not really wrong after all.
Muddie   Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:25 am GMT
This from an avid puzzler...

Phrase one indicates the way standard English is currently spoken. Phrase two can indicate an exception to this; the standard spoken language.

I must admit the two aren't mutually exclusive. If you compare the two, you could glean that speaking something that is taught and examining the language with its inherent vernacular are two different concepts.
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:05 am GMT
At first glance, I don't think there's much difference in meaning. If you have time to reflect and over-analyze it, maybe you can convince yourself that there's some difference. Of course, in normal reading or listening, you don't usually have time to over-analyze a phrase like this.
Amabo   Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 am GMT
1. Spoken standard English: a non-existent, fictional English spoken by no one.

2. Standard spoken English: a fictional, non-existent English that no one speaks.

There you go.

Always glad to help!
Guest   Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:19 am GMT
<<1. Spoken standard English: a non-existent, fictional English spoken by no one.

2. Standard spoken English: a fictional, non-existent English that no one speaks.>>

Mr Pedantic speaks it - so he says.
Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:27 pm GMT
My take..

Spoken standard English is simply the verbal expression of standard English.

Standard spoken English is the generally accepted standard for what is expressed verbally.

Combined, the two are simply saying there are [at least] two ways to verbally express the English language.