best value for time language to learn

Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 am GMT
Hi, I already know English and Spanish and I would like to now turn to a new language. However, I am a very busy person with not much free time so I'd like to know which languge I can get the most out of for the least amount of time spent studying. I don't really mind if I never become fluent, I am mainly looking for conversational skills + passive knowledge. I guess it will come down to one of the major Romance languages, but which one?

Thank you.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:38 am GMT
I'd go for French if you are gonna do this mainly for fun or cultural reasons. Pero si se trata de temas de negocios, pues tú mismo.
Guest   Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:18 pm GMT
I guess it could be either French or Portuguese, depending on where you are. (Canada, Europe, Africa -- French; South America -- Portuguese)
Guest   Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:33 am GMT
Cuando alguien hace una pregunta seria nadie contesta. ¿De verdad sólo quedan los trolos? ¡Qué triste que un sitio tan bueno como Antimoon se ha deteriorado tanto durante los últimos meses.
K. T.   Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
I think the original poster has to make the decision. It's just a fun proposal, not a serious question.

Advice/Suggestion:

Buy "101 languages of the World", a computer program with sound files, pictures, games, conversation practice, etc. It has all the major Romance languages and many other languages. I believe it has Catalan, Romanian,
two versions of French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese, Galician, and Portuguese. There is also vocabulary for Asturian, but no sound files for it. That should cover it. Sample them and decide. Amazon usually has it, but I saw it in a discount bookstore for much less. There is also a version with thirty-one languages, but you'll only get Italian, two types of French, Italian and Brazilian Portuguese for the Romance languages. I found a copy for less than five dollars.

Sample, then decide. Or heck, learn them all.
K. T.   Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 am GMT
I didn't mention Spanish, but of course Spanish is included for those who are interested. You can see how your accent, pitch, etc. matches the speakers in most of the languages offered.

This is really a sampler for would-be polyglots and you'll be able to cover most of the major travel situations in other languages like Breton (I think), Wolof, Luxembourgish, Guarani, Slovene, and other languages we can't easily sample at a low price