Swedish or Norweigen?? CAN'T DECIDE!!!

Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:51 pm GMT
ABBA are famous.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:12 am GMT
AHA are famous too.
Skippy   Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:21 am GMT
I prefer a-Ha. "Talking away... I dunno what's... left to say..." instant classic.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:12 am GMT
No one cares what you prefer Skippy. BTW, I prefer Lennon over ABBA.
Skippy   Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:38 am GMT
No one cares what you prefer either, but that's not stopping you or me or anyone from throwing it out on this forum.

Don't be a jackass.
John Lennon   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:26 pm GMT
I'm the Walrus! Goo goo g'joob.
Shreyan Peter   Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:01 pm GMT
It makes so much sense now to learn Swedish...considering the fact that it's a more or less codified language as opposed to Norwegian, which seems to be very diverse in terms of dialects...I guess learning Swedish will also make learning Norwegian easy later. That's the advantage with learning one of the Scandinavian languages (of course spoken Swedish or Norwegian are not easy at all but with considerable practice and exposure, it can be acquired I guess).
Skippy   Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
What is the difference between Bokmål and Nynorsk... Like, which one should actually learn if they want to speak Norwegian?
guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:30 pm GMT
There's a scarcity of Nynorsk resources.
Besides, it is used by only a tenth of Norwegians.
A passive knowledge of it may help one understands the dialects, though.

Careful for pitfalls.
E.g. 'de' means 'they' in Bokmaal, but 'you' in Nynorsk.

Btw, Nynorsk is only written. Nobody really speaks it.
Although you could almost say the same about Bokmaal, many Norwegians speak quite closely to Bokmaal, especially in the cities.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:14 pm GMT
Nynorsk is spoken in Western Norway, city of Bergen is a nic example.
People there have Nynorsk Windows OS not Bookmal OS
guest   Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:03 am GMT
I've been to western Norway, including Bergen.
Bokmaal predominates in Bergen.

The area where Nynorsk is strongly used (in writing) is Sogn & Fjordane.

As said before, nobody speaks Nynorsk. Those who use Nynorsk in writing speak a dialect, just as the majority of Norwegians.
Guest   Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:25 am GMT
It's not true people in Bergen speak Bokmal. They speak Bergensk, which is a dialect closer to Nynorsk than to Bokmal/

''Like almost all Norwegian dialects, Bergensk cannot be said to be either Bokmål or Nynorsk. While the vocabulary shows many traits of both Bokmål and Nynorsk, it has many characteristics that are not covered by any of these written languages. Also, Bokmål is often associated with Eastern Norwegian Standard Østnorsk pronunciation - although no official affiliation exists. This gives the claim that oral Bergensk "is" partly Bokmål ambiguities.''
Aryan Master   Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:51 am GMT
<<I'm sorry but I've never heard of a great Scandinavian film or book, so unless you can give me concrete examples I will have to consider you a horrendous fraud.>>

Scandinavia has actually produced more in literature, film and science than nations like Spain and Mexico, countries with much larger populations. The per capita output and innovation in Scandinavia is really unparalleled.
Guest   Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 am GMT
But that's not an example. It's an illogical comparison.
guest   Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:03 am GMT
<< It's not true people in Bergen speak Bokmal. >>

Nobody said that people in Bergen speak Bokmål.