prorocol

Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:40 am GMT
why do natives say protocol as prorocol
Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:43 am GMT
I've never heard of such a pronunciation.
Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:44 am GMT
i hear it everyday..

protocol should be said as PRO TO CALL but natives always say PRO ROW CALL
Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:49 am GMT
Glottal stop?
Guest   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:50 am GMT
I am a native and I don't say this.
KC   Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:56 am GMT
I have to say that some Americans do come across as saying prorocol. I am not sure if thats the US standard or not though.
1792   Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 am GMT
I am a native speaker, and I have never once heard this. Where are these natives from?
KC   Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:39 am GMT
On second thoughts. it sounds more like prodocol to me actually. The 't' is sometimes not clearly enunciated. Possibly, this might be because the speaker is speaking fast (and might be as much a feature of all native speakers), and not a characteristic of American english only.
Travis   Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:13 am GMT
The matter here is that some non-native speakers of English hear the alveolar tap [ɾ] or [ɾ̥] as being /r/ due to their native languages using [ɾ] as a rhotic. However, in English, though, taps are allophones of /t/ and /d/, like in the case of "protocol", and are not treated as rhotics at all, resulting in the idea of them sounding like "/r/" being perceived as very strange.
Benny   Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:39 pm GMT
Like when we say "morocycle"?
Travis   Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:45 pm GMT
But that's the thing - people don't say "prorocol" or "morocycle". For instance, here "prorocol" and "morocycle" would be [ˈpʰʁoːʁəkɒːʊ̯] and [ˈmoːʁʁ̩sʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː] whole "protocol" and "motorcycle" actually are [ˈpʰʁoɾ̥əkɒːʊ̯] and [ˈmoɾ̥ʲʁ̩sʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː]/[ˈmoʁ̩sʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː]/[ˈmoːʁsʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː].
Travis   Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
Whoops, I misinterpreted that. The pronunciations I have for "morocycle" are actually what "mororcycle" would be. Now that I think about it, "morocycle" probably corresponds to pronunciations like [ˈmoʁ̩sʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː]or [ˈmoːʁsʲə̆ĕ̯kɯː], even though if I had to write those using English orthography they would be something more like "moercycle". That is also not a matter of taps being misinterpreted as rhotics in English but rather a matter of intervocalic tap elision.