Is English a bastardised German?

Guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:14 pm GMT
<<Jeez, what a bunch of German wannabeez! >>

Yeah, no one wants to be French. That would require...SELF-STURF ("SUICIDE")
Guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
<<My German's rusty, as I really have not used it much in quite a while; I just sometimes use German on here to respond to posts in French by greg myself. >>

Don't worry about it Travis. It's an honest mistake.

Your German is still much better than mine : )
Guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
<< <<Jeez, what a bunch of German wannabeez! >>

Yeah, no one wants to be French. That would require...SELF-STURF ("SUICIDE")>>

OK, then maybe you Americans could learn to distinguish Akkusativ from Dativ, and also erase all your Polish/Indian/English genes.

If you can't do that you can't turn into a German, sorry.
Travis   Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:49 pm GMT
>>OK, then maybe you Americans could learn to distinguish Akkusativ from Dativ, and also erase all your Polish/Indian/English genes.

If you can't do that you can't turn into a German, sorry.<<

I know the difference between the two most definitely - the question is just which case to use in that particular construction, as it is a more figurative usage of "auf" than the more literal usages thereof (where which case to use would have been obvious).
greg   Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 pm GMT
Travis : « Du musst doch dir erinnern, dass die zitierte Sätze zuerst sehr literarisch sind. Sie zeigen keinen gewöhnlichen Gebrauch auf Englisch auf. Folglich machen sie ein gute Beispiel des romanischen Einflusses auf wirkliche Englisch nicht. »

Certes, nous savons tous ça Travis. Ich habe aber gedacht, daß "Germanic-ness&quo eine kleine Illustration brauchte...
Genetd   Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:57 pm GMT
You bros are so bogus in your using of the German and French writing dudes! What the fuck is up with turning from a Polish guy into a German one anyway? And Greg is using the French of like some dudes in an old French book. Who cares about all that shit up in here when it's a place for English language learning, man? I'm all over the English learning but this German and French and talking of Polish and Indian genes is all from pretension holmes and it isn't making any sense anyways. Get the life dudes and get over some of it.
Travis   Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm GMT
>>You bros are so bogus in your using of the German and French writing dudes! What the fuck is up with turning from a Polish guy into a German one anyway? And Greg is using the French of like some dudes in an old French book. Who cares about all that shit up in here when it's a place for English language learning, man? I'm all over the English learning but this German and French and talking of Polish and Indian genes is all from pretension holmes and it isn't making any sense anyways. Get the life dudes and get over some of it.<<

Obviously you are just a troll, and you clearly hadn't read half of what I had said...
"Germanic-ness&quo   Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:21 pm GMT
<<Get the life dudes and get over some of it.>>

Um, it's "Get A life DUDES and get over it"

but ur use of Dude-speak is rather exceptional! except for that last line, you'd've had me convinced.

greg,
mijn naam is "Germanic-ness", (ond Yèa, ik em full þiedisch) nòaght " "Germanic-ness&quo" hou hit oawríten is. Đa maschíen forbléndod hit hwann hit namb.
Germanic-ness   Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:24 pm GMT
<<Ich habe aber gedacht, daß "Germanic-ness&quo eine kleine Illustration brauchte... >>

hater
Genetd   Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 pm GMT
<<but ur use of Dude-speak is rather exceptional! except for that last line, you'd've had me convinced.>>

Thanks bro. I'm learning some little bit every day, mostly from music and from the American films. Thanks for the correction of my mistake with "get the life". What if I said, "ok so you can get a life now and get over that"? Would that be a correct manner to tell another that they should not continue to remain always attached to a certain subject and to move to another one that might be more important one?
Genetd   Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
<<Obviously you are just a troll, and you clearly hadn't read half of what I had said... >>

Ha ha, bro, but I did so read more than half of what you had written, even all of your posting, but I admit I didn't understand it all the way. In my post I was especially rejecting the posting by this Guest that was saying that Americans should learn to understand the other case endings from German and erase their Polish genes. I'm not American but there's so much that is totally non-sense insanities written on this forum about the Americans and their German genes and the American arrogants and all that jive that it's seeming to me these people who are not Americans are being too obsessed with the genetical programs of the Americans, especially when they're talking about the German fathers. In my own head I can't dig it out why the non-American dudes are so down with the talk about the American gene system face to face to the German question.

Then also again there's this Greg dude writing in my own language but not the language we would really be talking in the real life. In another word, to say it like the Americans, that dude is totally not keeping it real. He's just like this to enjoy impressing all the other dudes on this forum with this booked up French, which is not the point of this site.
Travis   Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:00 pm GMT
Well, if you aren't a troll, you still are as incoherent as you are verbose...
Guest   Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
<<Then also again there's this Greg dude writing in my own language but not the language we would really be talking in the real life. In another word, to say it like the Americans, that dude is totally not keeping it real. He's just like this to enjoy impressing all the other dudes on this forum with this booked up French, which is not the point of this site. >>

Perhaps you could enlighten us by translating some of Greg's posts from "booked up" French to "real life" French?
Genetd   Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:40 am GMT
<<Perhaps you could enlighten us by translating some of Greg's posts from "booked up" French to "real life" French?>>

Par example, au lieu de dire le suivant:

**Certes, nous savons tous ça Travis**

Moi, je ne dirais pas, "Certes..." Je dirais, "eh bein, ouais, Travis, ça, on sait deja, mais..."

You se it's not only the words he employes that are like a book, but the way he turns out the phrase and with the absence of any regular talking.
greg   Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:14 am GMT
Genetd : « Par example, au lieu de dire le suivant: ».

MdR... Le mot *<example> n'existe pas en français. Quant à *<le suivant>, ce n'est qu'un misérable calque idiomatique de <the following>, autrement dit de l'anglais travesti en "français".

Genetd : « Moi, je ne dirais pas, "Certes..." Je dirais, "eh bein, ouais, Travis, ça, on sait deja, mais..." ».

Oui mais, vois-tu, ce que tu écris est déjà bancal : <déjà> prend deux accents, pas zéro. D'autre part tu manques de la plus élémentaire des psychologies : Travis n'est pas francophone, donc pour se faire comprendre de lui le mieux est de tourner les phrases de la façon la plus claire qui soit. Mais la clarté dépasse manifestement ton entendement...

Tu prétends savoir écrire en français. Eh bien vas-y mon gars : exprime-toi dans la langue d'Audiard. Tes lecteurs potentiels sont impatients de découvrir le Frédéric Dard qui sommeille en toi... ☻