Is English a bastardised German?

PostYourTopic   Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:05 am GMT
Would that be a fair or unfair statement to make?
furrykef   Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
It would be unfair. English comes from Germanic, not German. Both languages are heavily divergent from their common ancestor. English is more so (especially with its large Latin-based vocabulary), but German is still different enough that one cannot claim that English derives from it.

- Kef
Amabo   Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:11 pm GMT
Not only is it unfair, it's a blatantly stupid statement to make.

What's next?

Are Americans bastardized Englishmen?

Sheesh.
Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:35 pm GMT
No..because english is not a variant of German, its just in the same language family.
Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:47 pm GMT
<Are Americans bastardized Englishmen?>

Yes.
Guest   Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:12 pm GMT
Most of Americans have German ancestry, not English. So yes, Americans are bastardised Germans.
Wintereis   Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:39 pm GMT
Guest: <are Americans bastardized Englishmen?

Yes.>

Most Americans are not English. The two most common ancestries in the U.S. are German and Irish with 13%. English happens to be the de facto language due to British Imperialism, that is all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6mkju5GNcw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuVJz0_hG5Q&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqLcTOmde6A&feature=related
AJC   Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:16 pm GMT
<fails to see relevance>
Wintereis   Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:15 pm GMT
<Fails to see relevance>

. . . And I thought American's were supposed to be stupid. I think I'm referring to the xenophobic nature of the message that precedes mine . . . and to the xenophobic nature of most of the comments made about the U.S. and its citizens on this website. Now that I've drawn the picture for you, AJC, do you understand? Or should I post a video of it in sign language?
Skippy   Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
haha lol

That third video was awesome!!
AJC   Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:08 am GMT
<And I thought American's were supposed to be stupid.>

Americans, you mean? No, of course they aren't.

<I think I'm referring to the xenophobic nature of the message that precedes mine . . . and to the xenophobic nature of most of the comments made about the U.S. and its citizens on this website.>

It's called "trolling". They don't really care. When you get enraged, it delights them. So don't.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:14 pm GMT
It's really not xenophobia IMO. We know Americans too well and don't think of them as of strangers. We share with them popular culture and most of the values. It must be the opposite of xenophobia. I just can't find the right word...
Damian   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 pm GMT
Globally, the World (which of course includes Europe, which in turn includes the United Kingdom) "bashes" America simply because it's considered legitimate. In effect, it's the "right thing to do because America deserves it". Open hostility to America and Americans appears to be fair game, with very little resistance against it, outside of America itself, of course. I've seen it for myself here in the UK, and living in a city which receives so many American visitors I've heard complaints from some of them about the negative attitudes directed towards them on a fairly regular basis. The same thing happened down in London, which has even more American visitors.

It virtually the same situation as exists in Western societies in which certain sections of those societies constantly bash the male gender in so many ways and it's just accepted as the "norm". Reversal of the genders in this respect is a definite no! no! Just not on!

I don't know for sure how long American Bashing has been going on in Europe but I suppose the "sport" took off pretty much soon after the present US President took office and soon afterwards showed himself to be a right clown, and, quite wrongly, people across the globe assumed that he represented every American in his style and behaviour and actions. However, I also think there's also something more than that which has caused this resentment across much of the world, including Europe of course. The reasons could well be varied.

But take heart - the British (more especially the English, anyway) are hardly the flavour of the month in the rest of Eurpope generally either. Again, there reasons could be manifold there as well. I could list some, but I won't.
Damian   Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:52 pm GMT
To illustrate further, this could well be your average dinner party conversation in the UK (well, in England in this case):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Phr5TC_v_g
AJC   Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:15 pm GMT
I'd say that was very far from an "average"; certainly *I* can't think of anybody who talks like that. A simple look at the facts will show you that Europeans who complain about McDonalds, Starbucks etc are outnumbered by those who actually *go* to these places, so it can hardly be that common an opinion. The only real anti-Americanism you will hear - one that actually has any political effect - is amongst Euro-federalists, and that's not looking such a popular idea these days, is it? I'll stop with that, I was just pointing out that it's counter-productive to pay these fools above the compliment of taking them seriously enough to argue with.