Do Spanish speakers really understand Italian & Portugue

Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:08 pm GMT
<<
The only one Spanish speakers can legitimately claim to understand is Catalan......
>>

nope not Catalan either.

They are classified as different languages for good reason.
Guest   Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:13 pm GMT
God bless the land that gave us birth!
No pray'r but this know we.
God bless the land, of all the earth,
The happy and the free.
And where's the land like ours can brave
The splendor of the day.
And find no son of hers a slave?
God bless America!
God bless the land, the land beloved
Forever and for aye!
God bless the land that gave us birth.
God bless America!
Guesto   Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:32 am GMT
Last weekend I was at a dinner and two friends were spanish speakers and one was from Brazil. I asked them how they communicate aside from English, and they told me that they can speak in their native languages and understand each other for the most part. I thought that was interesting but not too surprising because the languages are so similar.
Rolando   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:13 am GMT
I don't know how a Spanish & Portugese speakers can understand each other, I can't understand a Portugese very well unless he writes something, as for an Italian I can understand somewhat & understand a hand full amaount of words...! Why is that...?
JGreco   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:51 am GMT
Brazilian Portuguese= yes, Spanish speakers will definitely understand a majority of what is said.

European Portuguese= No, unlike the Brazilians who pronounce all their vowels the Eu.Portuguese eat both vowels and consonants making it very difficult for a Spanish speaker to understand with the exception for the people who live in the rural areas of Galicia were the pronunciation of Gallego is closer to the Portuguese norms.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:05 am GMT
It's funny reading all of these completely amateur opinions. You guys come in here and spout your ignorance as though you had doctorate degrees! Lolzor!
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:23 am GMT
<<It's funny reading all of these completely amateur opinions. You guys come in here and spout your ignorance as though you had doctorate degrees! Lolzor! >>

LOL @ You.

How do you know the educational backround of the anonymous posters? Besides, the topic of mutually intelligibility is hotly debated even amongst linguists with "doctorate degrees"; there isn't a right answer that is accepted by everybody.
JGreco   Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:05 am GMT
"It's funny reading all of these completely amateur opinions. You guys come in here and spout your ignorance as though you had doctorate degrees! Lolzor!"

Its funny you say that but yes I have a bachelors in international studies and I am in Grad school in the same area of studies so hmmm.....talk all you want but there are a lot of people in this forum who have similar credentials like me in this forum. If you go to the wordreference or unilang forums where you have to prove who you are rather than being chicken and commenting under guest....guest....guest....than maybe you would put your money where your mouth is eh....
Dr. Arthur Compington   Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:21 am GMT
This thread is superior to the majority, nevertheless the discussions exhibited on this site in a general sense indicate that this website could be perceived as a great repository of irreconcilably deficient information. Admittedly, there are some informed people here, although those who claim profound knowledge in areas in which they have no expertise tend to profess ridiculous nonsense which redounds to the detriment of this purportedly informative website. I am disgruntled that so many people make ill-informed statement, example of such being, if you will, statements like "the word Hispanic is derived from hispANUS", or "English is moronically simple" or "French is a language for gays" or "English is bastardised German". Such comments, in what regards my own person at least, come across as inflicting horrendous damage to this sites image as a scholarly pedagogical resource.
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:26 am GMT
Dr. Arthur Compington = Spanish Spammer with double personality.
Galego   Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:09 pm GMT
In all the romance languages there are plenty of words that don't come from Latin and have no equivalent in other romance languages. Let's do a simple test. Please translate the following words from Galician:
- brétema
- rencho
- congostra
- bruar
Of course these words are - mostly - not used these days since Galician, in our case, has been replaced by the equivalent words in Castilian.

The same idea applies to Italian. A Spanish speaker might understand the words that are similar in Spanish but there are plenty of Italian words that don´t have a similar Spanish word. Same goes for Catalan, etc...
JGreco   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:19 pm GMT
Just kind of like saying in Portuguese the words like....

Chão
grávida
Embora
Jeito
Saudade......

And there are plenty more words too...
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:31 pm GMT
God bless the land that gave us birth!
No pray'r but this know we.
God bless the land, of all the earth,
The happy and the free.
And where's the land like ours can brave
The splendor of the day.
And find no son of hers a slave?
God bless America!
God bless the land, the land beloved
Forever and for aye!
God bless the land that gave us birth.
God bless America!
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:37 pm GMT
<<if you will, statements like "the word Hispanic is derived from hispANUS", or "English is moronically simple" or "French is a language for gays" or "English is bastardised German". Such comments, in what regards my own person at least, come across as inflicting horrendous damage to this sites image as a scholarly pedagogical resource. >>

I'd suggest that these statements are troll-like rather than ill-informed.
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
Trolling around : The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted.