Can you distinguish UK accent from US when singing?

Uriel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:39 am GMT
<<I suppose a squash is similar, but more yellowish in colour rather than green, and eaten as a vegetable>>

"Squash" is actually a very generic term in the US, as Answer.com can testify:

squash1 (skwŏsh, skwôsh)
n.
Any of various tendril-bearing plants of the genus Cucurbita, having fleshy edible fruit with a leathery rind and unisexual flowers.
The fruit of any of these plants, eaten as a vegetable.

[From alteration of Narragansett askútasquash.]

Squashes, like gourds, come in a variety of colors and sizes. Pumpkins are considered a type of "winter squash", as are butternut and acorn squashes; they are predominately round, are often split in half and baked, and have sweet, mashable flesh that is usually golden or orange and taste best with butter and a little brown sugar. Pumpkin also makes an excellent soup and the traditional (sweet) Thanksgiving pie. Butternut squash soup is excellent as well.

"Summer squashes" would include your courgette (zucchini) and other long, tubular types with firmer flesh; they can be either yellow or green and are usually sliced and sauteed, or cut up into soups and stews along with other vegetables. A local specialty around here is calabacitas (from Spanish "calabasas", which is similar to "calabash", if you want a cognate), which involves sliced zucchini and yellow squash sauteed with onions, tomatoes, corn, and cheese -- oh, my god it's good! They aren't generally used in sweet dishes, though.

The summer and winter appellations have to do with when the two varieties typically ripen and are eaten.

I'm guessing that the Narragansett word "squash" was wrestled out of also gave rise to an etirely different American dish called "succotash", which is a mixture of corn and lima beans. I think you might call lima beans broad or butter beans? Anyway, this is wild speculation, but it is interesting that corn, beans, and squash were considered the "holy trinity" of Native American agriculture -- the Iroquois called them "the Three Sisters", and they were always planted together across the entire continent. That was because they actually grew better when planted together -- the tall cornstalks provided a natural trellis for the bean vines to climb up, the beans provided nitrogen-fixing bacteria to the soil, and the prolific leaves of the spreading squash shaded and mulched the ground. Beans and corn, when eaten together, provide a complete source of protein, as each lacks certain essential amino acids that the other one has, and I believe squashes are rich in vitamins. Corn and beans remain a basic staple of Indian and traditional Mexican diets -- bean burritos, of course! As well as Indian frybread with frijoles, quite popular in the northern part of New Mexico. Along with blue corn mush, which I can personally do without....

<<Next to the marrows and courgettes on the supermarket shelves are the aubergines - a dark purple colour in sharp contrast to the greens and yellows. Or as you guys call them - egg plants, so called because of their shape? You tell me...... >>

Eggplants I guess are called that from the shape, although the purple color makes them look pretty un-egglike. We may not use the word "aubergine" for the veggie but we DO use it to refer to a shade of purple. Although it's usually a muted reddish-purple, rather than the glossy blackish-purple of the actual fruit. Don't much care for the stuff myself, except as baba ganoush.

<<Many of them when they arrived here didn't even know that Brits inexplicably drove on the "wrong" side of the road, let alone call a zucchini a courgette or an egg plant an aubergine or a faucet a tap as well as all the other linguistic differences between us. I'm glad they exist, aren't you? It makes it more interesting when baffling each other. >>

Faucet and tap are interchangeable in the US, although inexplicably, you usually hear "faucet" for the fixture and "tapwater" for what comes out of it! Go figure. (And there are regional variations, of course -- tap is still common in some parts of the country.)
George   Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:12 pm GMT
<<Eggplants I guess are called that from the shape, although the purple color makes them look pretty un-egglike. We may not use the word "aubergine" for the veggie but we DO use it to refer to a shade of purple. Although it's usually a muted reddish-purple, rather than the glossy blackish-purple of the actual fruit. Don't much care for the stuff myself, except as baba ganoush. >>

I once saw a white aubergine and that was strictly egg-like, albeit quite a large one.

Squashes really do come in all sorts of shapes and colours. It's easy to forget all the fruit and vegetables that Europeans went without before arriving in the Americas. Think of how many dishes contain potatoes, squashes, sweet corn and tomatoes! Can you imagine Italian food without tomatoes?

The story of grapes really interesting. Along with all the the good fruit and veg from North America, a disease that affects the roots of grapes also made its way over and threatened to destroy wine production in Europe as the plants had no defence against it. Unfortunately the American grapes were not good for wine making, even though the roots were stronger and could resist the disease. In the end a brilliant solution was found, the European plants were grown by splicing them onto American roots! I think this is the way all wine making grapes are made these days.
Uriel   Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
There have been some attempts to make wine out of native grapes, like the catawba. I'm not a oenophile, so I can't tell you if the results have been any good -- i think all wine is pretty nasty -- but I remember living in upstate NY, which is a big wine-producing region, and my neighbors trying it out.

Native grapes are often described as tasting "foxy", whatever that means. It's not a compliment, whatever it is!

I guess pumpkins now come in all kinds of designer colors, and I once saw a picture of a white -- yes, pure white! -- variety.

The carved-out pumpkin that became the traditional American Halloween Jack-o-lantern has its origins in old British tradition, but the original scare-away-evil-spirits carvings were made out of turnips, of all things! (Not sure how scary that would actually be....) Perhaps the pumpkin really didn't exist in Europe before the discovery of the new world. Imagine how that would have changed the French fairytale "Cinderella"! "Get me the biggest turnip from the garden, my child. It won't be a very big carriage -- you'll have to crouch low -- but ...."
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:12 am GMT
***The carved-out pumpkin that became the traditional American Halloween Jack-o-lantern***

Come mid October all the supermarkets of Britain put an array of pumpkins on display for the same purpose. I doubt that many Brits use them to make pumpkin pie, though. Personally I have never, ever eaten pumpkin pie - am I missing out big time? But that's connected with American Thanksgiving isn't it, not Hallowe'en? And no - Brits do not celebrate Thanksgiving, nor the 4th of July either! Apparently, a fair number of Americans think we do!

We DO celebrate Christmas though, and we even have the next day, the 26th December, as a national holiday as well - Boxing Day - so called because of the small gifts packed in little boxes which people gave, on that day, to tradespeople and other people who had delivered all the Christmas goodies to them before the Christmas holiday season began. For very many people in the UK the Christmas holidays usually begin on 23 December and last until 02 January, or in the case of us here in Scotland, until 03 January.

Brits are generally much less enthusiastic about Hallowe'en than the Americans are...in fact, we can be a wee bit curmudgeonly about it simply because it's never been a big part of our traditions. As 31 October approaches you can see signs appearing in people's windows and doors all saying about the same thing: "Sorry, No Trick or Treat!"

Now I reckon you're going to say we are a load of miserable gits....

Not in Scotland we're not - we have our own version of Trick or Treat at Hogmanay.........as soon as the midnight clocks have struck to usher in the Guid New Year.....that's when we show how truly UN-mean we are!
Uriel   Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:50 pm GMT
Pumpkin pie is really good, and we eat it all fall and winter long -- you will see it at Christmas as well as Thanksgiving. It has a custardy texture and is full of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice to complement the pumpkin puree, and usually a dollop of whipped cream on top. Yes, you are missing out big time!

An acceptable substitute can be made with sweet potatoes, and it tastes almost the same (and is the same orange color).

Pumpkin bead can also be made (it's a moist, sweet bread, a lot like banana bread), and you will see all kinds of pumpkin-flavored delicacies pop up seasonally, from pumpkin ice cream to pumpkin spice milkshakes and lattes. Pumpkin seeds can be roasted and eaten like sunflower seeds, and you will see them in packages year-round (or you can make your own). Pumpkin is odd for cooks in that the canned version is usually easier to work with than the fresh, as pumpkin must be cooked before baking it.

We don't do Boxing Day or Hogmanay, of course. I guess the US "Christmas season" runs roughly from Thanksgiving (third Thursday in November) to New Year's Day, although that's not official or anything.