"Think you" replacing "Thank you"?

TomF   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
I have noticed that more and more often, young American women are saying what sounds to my ear like "think you" for "thank you". What's the explanation for that?
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 pm GMT
She might be southern
guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:42 pm GMT
<<"think you" for "thank you">>

mispronunciation

and forwarding of long 'a' to long 'e' sound
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:30 pm GMT
Don't young women usually point the way towards future language change among the whole population?

If so, perhaps "ang" and "ank" will be pronounced as "ing" and "ink" all over trhe US a few dozen years. I guess this could be called the "think/thank merger".
guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:55 pm GMT
<<Don't young women usually point the way towards future language change among the whole population?
>>

only if *all* women do this. They do not.

The ones who don't will pass on their conservative pronunciation, and it will continue. may even drive the other mispronunciation out.
Wintereis   Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:37 pm GMT
<<I have noticed that more and more often, young American women are saying what sounds to my ear like "think you" for "thank you". What's the explanation for that?>>

I have not heard this. Perhaps they are just trying to tell you something in particular.
Dans   Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:51 pm GMT
You would find this in some accents - South London.
Earle   Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:29 pm GMT
Not Southern US...
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
I've not heard the think/thank merge in the US. TomF can you tell us what state you were in when you heard this? Perhaps it's a regional situation.
TomF   Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:59 am GMT
I've heard it in North Dakota.