What's this accent like?

Pete   Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:56 am GMT
Hello, everyone.

My RP accent has changed a bit this months, so I would like to know your opinion about it. I've been told by an English teacher that there were some unnatural things in it, but he didn't explain more. You experts out there, would you plz hear it and issue an opinio. I know it takes a few minutes but it will be very helpfull to me, thank you.

Make comments about:

1.- What's wrong about it and which things should I improve or reinforce?
2.- Is it clear or do I need to change certain things?
3.- Is is nice or unpleasant for you? Which kind of influence can you find in my accent Australian, English, New Zealander, American, RP, Queen's English, etc?

here you are the link

http://uploadhut.com/view.php/419628.mp3

Sorry, it takes a some. It's a mp3 file about 2.89 MB of my speech. Which will show you the main features of my accent, and here you are the transcription of what I'm saying there.

THE RAINBOW PASSAGE

When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prism and form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch, with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon. There is , according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at the end. People look, but no one ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Throughout the centuries people have explained the rainbow in various ways. Some have accepted it as a miracle without physical explanation.

Well, Hi, I come from Peru. My Brit friends call me Pete, but my real name is Pedro. That's a very common latin name in Spanish. I come from a city called Ica which is 3 hours away from Lima, that's... the capital city of Peru. My hometown is well known there because of the production of wine, growing cotton and some more things. I learnt English there, I used a "British English" method. There were some Peruvians who had a awesome level of English. However, the most important ones were the native speakers, indeed, you know. There were four of them.There was an Australian guy, from the world famous city of Melbourne. The rest of them were English. One was from Brighton, which is a beautiful city by the sea located in East Sussex, in the south of England. Another one was from a city in Essex, that's east of London. And the other guy is what they call... you know a true Cockney, but let me tell you he didn't have that stigmatised strong Cockney accent, or at least he made a great effort to hide his true accent so we ,crappy students, could understand. But, you know I don't think so. Even If I had English teachers, when I finished studies I ended up speaking like just an American... just like an American, believe it or not. My accent has changed a bit these years, due to the influence of other Europeans and English people. You know, having this accent of mine is quite a funny thing. At the moment I live in Utrera, Spain. Sometimes I go to the sights wearing shorts and sunglasses and carrying a digital camera, and when I spot an American I got closer and start to talk to them. I quite like to see their confused, or impressed or dumb expression when I speak. And it's very exciting for me to see an American girl grining at me all the time or looking at me in fascination, just because of my accent. Obviously that's not very common. They turn around and draw the craziest conclussions about my accent, Australian, NewZealander, British, etc. Well, one thing's for certain; it's hard to find a non-native speaker with this strange accent I have. :)

Thank you.
Guest   Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:03 pm GMT
Blow it out your rim, ya brown noser!
Rick Johnson   Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:33 pm GMT
It's interesting! It's very much a mix of your native accent and South East English. There are occasional words that you say where the SE accent is quite noticeable. I would probably keep your accent how it is, it sounds unusual enough to keep girls interested, no doubt!
Stan   Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 pm GMT
An unmistakable accent of a native English speaker who, due to reasons unknown has spent too much years in Australia. The Australian part of your accent seems to be congenital; obvious in your pronounciation of "ways." I'm not a prefessional at recognizing the native accent of New Zealand, so I wouldn't eliminate the probability of its influence either, so it makes sense to suggest you're a native speaker with a distinct South East English accent influence.
Damian in Scotland   Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:58 pm GMT
What's it like?

It's........English! :-)
Guest   Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:08 pm GMT
He sounds like that old British geezer with grey hair who goes around in a safari suit making documentaries on wildlife.
Stan   Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:09 am GMT
Will you by chance be referring to Sir David Attenborough?, well I asure you that "geezer" is not an appropriate term to use for him. He is a man of outstanding achievements, and his contribution to the study of wildlife is extraordinary.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/programmes/who/david_attenborough.shtml

I don't think you were referring to him, he certainly does not sound a bit like the guy you listened to.
Guest   Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:37 am GMT
I like your accent... quite interesting
Guest   Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:40 am GMT
It reminds me of a dutch Friend who spoke with an accent quite similar to yours.
Pete   Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:23 am GMT
Thank you all for your opinions. Very accurate descriptions of my accent, and very sensible as well. Because once I had a dumb Brit who asked me if I spoke French because I spoke "American English with a Learnt-French accent" that's bullshit, I reckon. And once an Aussie said that I spoke Canadian English, with some influence from the French speaking part. I find those opinions a bit strange because I don't speak French, but anyway...

<<I've been told by an English teacher that there were some unnatural things in it, but he didn't explain more.>>

What about that? what are your thoughts about this? what's the unnatural part in it, or what's the possible problem with it?
Guest   Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:00 am GMT
<<Thank you all for your opinions. Very accurate descriptions of my accent, and very sensible as well. Because once I had a dumb Brit who asked me if I spoke French because I spoke "American English with a Learnt-French accent" that's bullshit, I reckon. And once an Aussie said that I spoke Canadian English, with some influence from the French speaking part. I find those opinions a bit strange because I don't speak French, but anyway... >>

They couldn't be native English speakers.

<<What about that? what are your thoughts about this? what's the unnatural part in it, or what's the possible problem with it? >>

Hard to explain because it's a hodgepodge of accents. I'll give a few examples according to my impressions.

Rainbow: "Rain" sounds like an exaggerated Cockney or Australian pronunciation, like the funny immitation in The Simpsons, but "bow" sounds American the first time and British thereafter.

Passage: sounds RP

White light: you pause to again, to exaggerate this seemingly Australian pronunciation

Beautiful: sounds Italian or Spanish

Round Arch: Sounds like the Queen

Above: "ove" unidentifiable or nonnative-like.

According to: American

Legend: RP

Pot of: Glottal stop "po' of" is Cockney or Estuary-like

Reach: pronounced "rich" is nonnative.

Common: pronounced "come on"

Believe it or not: "Be-live it"

These years: "This years"

Sunglasses: American
Pete   Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:35 pm GMT
That's great, thanks. whomever you are!

Comments about mistakes are very useful, thanks
Thomas   Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:51 am GMT
<<Comments about mistakes are very useful, thanks>>

Well, it should be "Whoever you are!" then. "whom/whomever" should only be used for the object of a sentence, e.g. "whomever you ask".
Guest   Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:34 am GMT
This one was nice, bu tthre problem is he is no native speakker.
Where can I hear and download recordings of good cockney accent?? I want to learn that one just for fun...
Pete   Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:37 am GMT
Thanks man, it's true. where can anyone download nice COCKNEY recordings with subtitles or something? So they can repeat and practice all the time to get the COCKNEY accent.

If I decided to adopt a Cockney accent, would it be difficult? would I have to change my accent much? What do I have to change?

Thanks in advance.