Judging intelligence the wrong way?

Morgan   Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:20 pm GMT
"To start judging a people's intelligence by the way they speak is incorrect,"

Do you agree with that?
furrykef   Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:18 am GMT
I agree. Intelligent people do tend to have larger vocabularies and take more care with proper grammar and usage than less intelligent people, but that's only a general tendency. It's quite possible for a very intelligent person to stumble horribly when speaking and an unintelligent person to be eloquent. In fact, I have heard of cases of superintelligent people whose minds worked so much faster than their mouths that they had a lot of trouble speaking coherently because their minds kept trying to move on to the next concept before they finished talking about the current one.

- Kef
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:39 am GMT
A lot of people are stupider than they sound (a lot of politicians) and a lot of people are smarter than they sound (gangstas).
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:56 pm GMT
<<"To start judging a people's intelligence by the way they speak is incorrect,">>

Morgan is on a mission to convince the world that all language rules are arbitrary and that there is no true correct way of speaking any language. She believes that there is no connection between education and use of standardized language and that there should be laws to protect people from dialect discrimination, especially the southerners who speak hillbilly and blacks who speak ebonics.

Most of us, on the other hand are in favor of prison camps for people who can't speak properly and execution for those who refuse to be re-educated. In the old days in the USA, people who spoke in a dialect had their tongues cut out of their mouths. While cutting out the tongue is a great idea, I don't know if it goes far enough since the person may also be able to write in the dialect. Then again, most of those people can't read or write anyway, so maybe cutting out the tongue would be sufficient, at least in the beginning phase of the linguistic cleansing especially the children. The second phase would be the burning of any books written in non-standard. I've burned a few books from my local library but really it's not enough. We all need to pitch in to really make the effort work.