Influence of Oscan in Spanish

Adolfo   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
As you may know, Oscan and Latin were similar Italic languages. Recently I read that some Spanish words like "querer" (to want, desire, etc), that are not present in Italian or French ,derive from Oscan and not from Latin (Classical or Vulgar). What is the reason for this? My guess is that the soldiers and settlers that arrived to Spain may be from the region of Italy where this language whas spoken (South Italy). Also Oscan pronounced v like b. I wonder if this is the reason of Spanish bethacism rather than the Basque-Iberian substratum. What do you know abut the Oscan influence in Spanish? I couldn't find much information yet I think this is a really interesting matter.
K. T.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:32 pm GMT
http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/

This is in Spanish. I think it's a good authority and the derivation is Latin.
However, if you have a better source, I would be happy to look at it.
K. T.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:34 pm GMT
The link indicates that the source is "quaerĕre" if you look for "querer".
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
RAE is not a reliable source for ethimologies. I don't know if where I read that about querer and its Oscan origin was true, but RAE is well known for its grotesque ethimological explainations.
K. T.   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
Okay, what dictionary do you suggest?
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm GMT
I can't suggest one , but I RAE is not good with ethimologies.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
Corominas says that querer comes from Latin. It also says that querer as to want only exists in Spanish, Galego and Portuguese, but it already existed in vulgar Latin with that sense. So, maybe it disapeared from other romances later.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:52 pm GMT
Scholars will always do their best to make appear that Spanish derives from Latin, but the reality is that other Italic languages had a great impact on it.
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:13 pm GMT
<<Scholars will always do their best to make appear that Spanish derives from Latin, but the reality is that other Italic languages had a great impact on it. >>

The same scholars are the ones who say that English is 60% Latin, which it isn't.

TODAS LAS MENTIRAS

ALL LIES
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:54 pm GMT
They're just jelous cuz English is NOT a Romance language and it never will.
Latin English   Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
<<They're just jelous cuz English is NOT a Romance language and it never will. >>

English probably has more Latin words in it numerically than all of the Spanish language combined.

eg. English: 500.000 words * 60% = 300.000 Latin words

Spanish total lexicon = 100.000 words ALL Latin

Phewey!

We beat you! LOLOLOLOL
Another Latin Englander   Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:51 pm GMT
<<eg. English: 500.000 words * 60% = 300.000 Latin words

Spanish total lexicon = 100.000 words ALL Latin
>>

300,000 to 100,000

yep, we win
Guest   Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:06 pm GMT
> Recently I read that some Spanish words like "querer" [...]

Since you can't mention your source, your post has no truth value.
Same Latin Englander   Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
<<Since you can't mention your source, your post has no truth value. >>

Oh, I can name my source. But I choose not to hehe

besides, your "rule" (i.e. 'no named source = no value') is only a figment of your beweening (imagination)