spanish - un or no un

FATSO   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:01 am GMT
When do you have to use 'un' or 'una'? For example, in the following cases I don't see which of them is correct or why?

Soy estudiante - Soy un estudiante
Se convirtió en hombre - se convirtió en un hombre
ser persona no es fácil - ser una persona no es fácil
La mujer le dijo que hay que ser madre para entenderlo - la mujer le dijo que hay que ser una madre para entenderlo

Which is right? Thanks
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:12 am GMT
I believe that you say soy estudiante - in French, you say je suis etudiant, and in German - ich bin Student. You don't need 'a' in this case because it isn't necessary to say that you are one of many students - that is implied.
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:27 am GMT
It's easy. You don't need to add "un" in any of them.

You don't need to add the information of "one" person, man, student, because it is a general idea.

You must remember that in Spanish "un" has the idea of "one". So, it sounds a little strange if you say "Soy un estudiante" We know that you are one, and not two:)
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:35 am GMT
But you can say 'hay un estudiante', and There is one student also sounds strange.

I'm doing pretty well for someone who can't speak Spanish!
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:33 am GMT
It depends on the phrase.

"Hay un estudiante en clase", for instance, sounds better, because you say that there is one and not two. Here you can use "un" with the idea of "one".

"Soy estudiante" is a general idea when "un" it is not used. In the first phrase, there is one person, "una persona", not an idea.
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:02 am GMT
So, you mean that if you say 'hay' there can be any number, but to say 'soy' you can only be one student?
Guest   Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:17 pm GMT
Yes.

For instance, "soy francés", "soy estudiante" or "soy alto" is a quality, not a quantity. That is the use of the verb "ser".

"Hay" is used with the idea of quantity.

Hay un arbol en el jardin. Hay dos coches en la calle.
PARISIEN   Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:28 pm GMT
1 "Soy estudiante"
2 "Se convirtió en hombre"
3 "ser persona no es fácil"
4 "hay que ser madre para entenderlo"

Je ne sais pas comment c'est en espagnol, mais en français ce serait:

1- Je suis étudiant
2- Il s'est changé en homme
3- Être *une* personne n'est pas facile
4- Il faut être mère pour comprendre ça ("une mère" convient également)

Donc,
- pas de 'un' pour 1 et 2
- 'un' OBLIGATOIRE en 3
- 'un' facultatif en 4.

Logique: en 1 et 2, 'étudiant' et 'homme' sont des qualités génériques, tandis qu'en 3 le mot 'personne' postule intrinsèquement l'unicité du sujet. En 4 les deux nuances sont admissibles.

Je suppose, c'est pareil pour la plupart des langues normales (sauf l'anglais, "I am a student")
Caspian   Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:21 pm GMT
Merci - y gracias

Peut-être en français, pour 4, est-ce qu'on pourrait dire:
- Il faut qu'on soit une mère pour comprendre ça; est-ce qu'on pourrait utiliser le subjonctif?

"des langues normales" - Quoi? Comment est-ce qu'on peut dire ça? Il n'y a pas de langues normales - sauf à l'avis de quelqu'un, non?

Y a-t-il d'erreurs grammatiques dans mon français?