the best input at all.

Boy   Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:48 pm GMT
Leena,

One question for you: What is the cost of a movie in your city? I can afford to watch many American movies because they are pirate ones. It costs me only $20 for buying 30 hollywood movies. If they are expensive to buy, what about watching them on cable channels?

Thanks.
Laura Braun   Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:52 pm GMT
Listen what I think for a coupe of day I was watching two diferent movies. The first one was with good actors (whole that bunch of good actors as Julia Roberts and so and so...) It's called 'Close'. At the very next day I was watching movie 'Malena' (with Maria Beluchi). Whan a diference. The first one I forgot almost as I watch it. Pointless theme and not good scenario. But movie 'Malena' I will never forget it. That's classic, that's movie. I haven't seen such performance of ages. What I really want to say that Malena is thousand years foreward than most of movies which I ever seen.
I suggest you to look at good movies, movies which you CAN remember but not to waste your time with Linsy Lohan, Hillary Duff. After years nobody willl remember neither Britney, nor Lindsy Lohan, not even Hillary Duff.
Boy   Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:12 pm GMT
I believe, ESL students don't watch movies for remembring xyz actors and actresses. They want to learn day to day conversational expressions and it doesn't matter where they start from. All I want to say that watch any movies but atleast "START"!
Laura Braun   Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:25 pm GMT
You know what kind of movie I started to watch at first. It's called 'The mirrow have two faces'. That's lovely story with Jeff Bridges and Barbra Streizant. This is a romantic story and because I didn't know english at that time I was watching it several times, trying to understand for what they are talking about. Then I realised that I'm listening english, without trying to translate in my own language whotever. So that's the first time which I get to know how to learn english. Forget about your own language and listen english, don't try to translate english, but try to understand the meaning of english sentences.
Leena   Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:05 am GMT
Boy
I am really impressed by your practical advises.I wished before i join this forum to find someone really give me practical recommendations and this is really you.I am very happy cuz you guided me to avoid the fighting movies,im naturally hate them because of the blood views which i cant bear.I love the teenage and romantic movies and i will fill my room with them.100 movies is a big number!!!but if they will really help i will directly buy this number without thinking.I will do all your advises honestly.Thank you Boy so much for your great help.
Leena   Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:14 am GMT
Boy
the cost of the movie only cost 3$ its not that expensive.Most cable channels show movies with my native language subtitles which make me lose the audio dialogues.I better buy these movies with english subtitles.
Leena   Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:20 am GMT
Laura Braun
thank you for your reply.But i have a question for you.How can i differentiate the movies i can remember and the ones that waste my time?Are there any clues for this because i am on my way to buy!!!
Boy   Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:55 pm GMT
Leena,
It is a good idea to buy 25 movies and watch them in a month. Then buy other 25 movies in the next month. You'll be watching 100 movies over a span of 4 months but It's time for you to get started!
Laura Braun   Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:46 pm GMT
Leena,

Some people liked some movies, others like diferent, it's something called 'The variety is space of life'. So I suggest you to look at 'Beautiful mind', I like it, or 'American Beauty', the movie must be interesting. (if you like it you will watch it more than once). First of all : forget about your own language, but watch the movie with subtitles in english. Then if you cannot read and at the same time to listen, just don't read subtitles, but concentrate on the sentences which you can get it. Imagine for what these people are talking about. The third time when you watch the movie, you can repeat your favorite places. Then you can start to imitate what you have heard in practice, that's already sentence with good structure and pronounciation.
When I start to learn english I had several tapes with common conversation which imitated real life (in office, how to talk at the phone, how to escuse someone and so and so). I was listening them for several times trying to imitate the conversation. That's the best way to learn - you have to 'hear' language, but it took time.
Uriel   Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:11 am GMT
That's probably "Variety is the SPICE of life"...
Leena   Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:05 am GMT
Boy
I actually bought 10 movies till now and all of them are very interesting,and then i will increase the number after i cover the whole movies.
Guest   Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:16 am GMT
Laura Braun
You know what!I really thought you are native english speaker,Your english sounds really great!!
I thank you very much from bottom of my heart on your practical advises.All both movies you have mentioned are nice examples,i have read much about these two movies on some magaziene.Your steps seem great,I will do my best doing them.Thank you.
Leena   Sat Dec 03, 2005 6:59 am GMT
the guest was me.Leena I forgot typing my name.