The future of Spanish language in USA

Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:23 pm GMT
Canada is full of Colombians so it makes sense that there is one million Spanish speakers over there.
JLK   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:16 pm GMT
Those number are ridiculously inflated. There are perhaps 25 million fluent Spanish speakers in the U.S and that's generous. The border is going to be sealed one way or another and 2nd generation Hispanics prefer English so dream on gentlemen...Instead watch the reverse immigration as millions of Anglos go to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama,etc...to enjoy the cheap cost of living. I've been to much of central and south America and the spread of English is remarkable. In Panama and Costa Rica you don't really need to know any Spanish...
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:26 pm GMT
<<Hi!, I am European, and I read that Spanish is spoken by a lot of people in USA:

-34 million of Hispanics officially

-12 million of illegal Hispanics

-6-10 million of students in USA

-4 million of Puertoricans

60 million, total speakers.

If there are 60 million of speakers in USA (I don't know it these data are true) which is the future of Spanish in this country? >>

You're making alot of wrong assumptions:

1) "hispanic" doesn't mean spanish-speaking. "Hispanic" is just an ethnic term indicating ancestral origin. Most hispanics, are normal anglophone americans.

2) Almost none of the students of spanish in the united states, ever acheive any level of fluency. Most people just take spanish to are fulfill a foreign language requirement at their high-school or college.

3) The future of spanish is indicated by the rate intergenerational transmission (which is dismal to non-existent) rather than raw numbers.

Taking the above into account, spanish has no future in the united states.
Mallorquí.   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:29 pm GMT
Hala, envío este mensaje en español en prueba de que también domino ese idioma.

Cuando los hablantes de una lengua aumentan rápidamente, millones y millones y más millones, y se extiende por varias regiones del mundo, el riesgo de disgregacion de esa lengua aumenta cada vez más.

Ya ocurrió con el holandés, escindido en holandés europeo y afrikaans. Está sucediendo con el portugués: una gran proporción de brasileños declaran no entender a los portugueses hasta el punto de que se ha hecho preciso doblar los culebrones portugueses al brasileño.

Por lo respecta al español, únicamente una observación: de la última novela de Harry Potter se han hecho cuatro ediciones, cuatro versiones: española de España, argentina, mejicana e "hispana". Cuatro traducciones diferentes.

No hace muchos meses leí unas entrevistas a cuatro escritores sudamericanos en las que declaraban, textualmente, "el estándard español actual no nos sirve".

Deseo lo mejor a los hispanohablantes pero no dejo de pensar que hechos como los que relato (que podrían multiplicarse ad libitum) tal sirvieran para bajar los humos a muchos españoles.

¿Qué voy a pensar si varias veces he oído esta frase en boca de españoles: "Donde esté el castellano, que se quiten todas las demás"?. O bien cuando un compañero de esta lista Antimoon lleva su delirio hasta imaginarse que, pronto, únicamente se hablará español "desde el estrecho de Bering hasta el Cabo de Hornos".
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:42 pm GMT
I was currently watching the news, when Barack Obama appeared on CNN about Language ability in The United States of America. He says we as citizens should learn how to speak more languages. "When Europeans come over here, they speak English well usually, but speak French, German, etc, so many other languages, but all we can say is merci beaucoup". Barack Obama made a great point. But this note isn't about politics.

This country should learn other languages, because they are useful in jobs, travel, and life in general. Unless you never travel Europe, you'll only need to speak English in the US. I am currently teaching my colleague how to speak Italian. So, I spoke in Italian to her one day, and a few friends of hers thought I had cursed at her. That is an example of lack of culture.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:47 pm GMT
>>>>Spanish will share the fate of every other immigrant language that has arrived within the past 150 years.<<<<

No. As the Spanish language has had historical ties with the Southwest - evidence lies within the name of cities and historical landmarks throughout the Southwest. Plus, in the T.V. Network they are about 7 or 8 channels that are in Spanish; plus the many Spanish radio stations on the aire, billboards in Spanish, applications in Spanish, instructions in Spanish for apparatus. I think you should rephrase it to 'Spanish shall survive 150 years in the Continental U.S.'

Greetings.
Guest   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
Mallorquí, el caso del español es un poco diferente, usualmente los idiomas dificiles son los que suelen desintegrarse, en en caso del español no es asi, es bastante sencillo y cuenta con una academia que determina las reglas del idioma, asi que a diferencia de otros idiomas (ej. como el ingles) si no pronuncias o escribes de la manera correcta, entonces lo estas haciendo mal y eso ayuda a que el idioma se mantenga unido.

Con respecto a tu ejemplo de Harry Potter, todas las versiones del español son completamente entendibles, en unico motivo por el cual algunos paises deciden sacar sus propias versiones es simplemente por "orgullo", por ejemplo un mexicano podria leer perfectamente la version argentina o española y viceversa.
Mallorquí   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:09 pm GMT
Perdona, es verdad.

Soy bastante anti-castellano, lo reconozco. Aunque el español fuera hablado en Estados Unidos por el 80% de la población le buscaría pegas, y diría que casi no se habla allí.

Me fastidia pero tengo que reconocer que después del inglés, es la lengua internacional más importante.

Gracias. Un saludo a todos.
Mallorquí.   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:18 pm GMT
Bueno, ahi están las panzerdivisionen españolas, insidiosas, irrespectuosas y profundamente ignorantes.

Lo digo porque el mensaje precedente, firmado Mallorquí, no es mío.

Es hora de retirarse. Como dijo Truman Capote, la única manera de lidiar con la estupidez es elevarse por encima de ella.

Adéu siau.
Mallorquí   Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:27 pm GMT
Por ültimo, y este mensaje si es mio, como dijo Truman Capote, comeme el cipote!!!!

Creo que lo mejor es estudiar inglés, español y chino, y chupar un buen pepino.

PD. Me voy a un foro gay, que alli me entienden mejor!!!
Mexican   Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 pm GMT
<< No. As the Spanish language has had historical ties with the Southwest - evidence lies within the name of cities and historical landmarks throughout the Southwest. Plus, in the T.V. Network they are about 7 or 8 channels that are in Spanish; plus the many Spanish radio stations on the aire, billboards in Spanish, applications in Spanish, instructions in Spanish for apparatus. I think you should rephrase it to 'Spanish shall survive 150 years in the Continental U.S.' >>

Yes, but unfortunately Spanish still has a certain lower class status in the US.

<< tengo que reconocer que después del inglés, es la lengua internacional más importante. >>

It depends.

Spanish is important in the Americas, but in most parts of Africa, Asia, and Oceania it's not important at all.

In many regions of the old world French is much more important than Spanish.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:11 am GMT
>>Yes, but unfortunately Spanish still has a certain lower class status in the US.<<

It is frown upon because Americans (the U.S. government if you will) see it as a threat. In addition, it is seen as low class language because immigrants are usually associated with it - this is why many of the offspring from immigrants don't bother learning it or care to speak it well or at all, because all they been taught unconsciously or consciously is that the Spanish language is an underclass / inferior language; when in reality it is not. Plus, the monolingual culture (i.e., America is the best, English only, no one has anything on us etc) that is imposed in the U.S. further accelerates this type of mentality. But on that note: Spanish shall always remain here in the U.S. whether in the future it is not spoken to a great extent, for the reason that many objects, places or things in the Southwest have its origin in the Spanish language.

Above all, yes; you are right. Unfortunately.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:29 am GMT
<<It is frown upon because Americans (the U.S. government if you will) see it as a threat>>

Obama doesn't sound too threatened!
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:52 am GMT
>>Obama doesn't sound too threatened!<<

That's because he is a (liberal) Democrate.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:00 am GMT
Оbama for president!