Do I have a Canadian accent?

Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
<<So far, about half of the people guessed Canadian, the other American. Many couldn't tell either way. Btw, this also is of "Comma Gets a Cure". >>

This ability requires an intuitiveness that not everyone is necessarily skilled at or possesses.

It is a gift.

(and I don't mean that in a conceited way)
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:56 pm GMT
>>
This is similar to the way some English dialects, and I'm thinking of Australians (and sometimes New Zealanders) at the moment, always seem to end a sentence with a rising intonation--as if they are asking a question, but are really making a statement. <<

That's also attributed to Valley Girls and Canadians as well though. And it's not everyone, just certain age groups.
Super Korean   Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:50 pm GMT
Of course I don't sound like a native speaker because I am not.

I was just wondering if I have NCVS or nasal accent just like midwesterners.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:06 pm GMT
>>

I was just wondering if I have NCVS or nasal accent just like midwesterners. <<

You have a mixed accent. Some people have sort of a mixed accent, if they move around a lot. I know someone who lived in the North, South, and West, and you should hear how they pronounced "bag". In a 15 minute conversation it sounded like:
[b{g]
[bag]
[b{:j@g]
[beg]

Trying to guess where they were from would be pretty darn difficult. Sometimes they sounded Southern, sometimes Northern, and sometimes Western.
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
I'm Canadian and I don't think people would generally characterize me as "more polite" than most Americans.