retarded names syndrome worldwide?

K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
Don't give your kids names that will embarrass them. I see the names of criminals sometimes and wonder if they ended up that way because Mama gave her boy a girly name or a name that sounded "weak" to other men.

And make sure the initials don't spell something bad!

Still, there was a famous woman in Texas called "Ima Hogg". Maybe Skippy knows about her.

David Ignatius Moore=DIM
Donald Urban Mortenson=DUM

You get the idea.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
Frank Aaron Goldsmith = FAG
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:31 pm GMT
I see I've created a monster.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 pm GMT
One question Why Mike Oldfield sounds good and Miguel Campo Viejo sounds awful?
Shrey   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:00 pm GMT
Some of the indian names when written in english sound hillarious:
sakhdheep (pronounced suck-deep)
bubblefakaur (bubble-fuck- aur)
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 pm GMT
<<One question Why Mike Oldfield sounds good and Miguel Campo Viejo sounds awful?>>

"Oldfield" doesn't sound good to me.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:13 pm GMT
<<"Oldfield" doesn't sound good to me.>>
Are you a native speaker?
Skippy   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:49 pm GMT
Every Texan knows about Ima Hogg, the First Lady of Texas. She was named after a character in an epic poem called The Fate of Marvin, and she was an avid art collector with works by Picasso and Matisse. She was kind of cute too...
PARISIEN   Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:24 pm GMT
Be careful when choosing a christian name for your kids.

An example that started a trend:

"Margaux Hemingway was named for the wine, Château Margaux, which her parents, Puck and Jack Hemingway (the son of Ernest), were drinking the night she was conceived.
In later years, *after giving up drinking alcohol*, she returned to spelling her name Margot..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaux_Hemingway

Nomen est Omen...
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:40 pm GMT
Actually, I thought about that. I know about that Latin phrase. It's a little pagan to think that way, but interesting.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:35 am GMT
<<Are you a native speaker?>>

Yeah. I'm American, but what does that have to do with anything?
Xie   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:55 am GMT
LOL, and the Chinese have their names butchered all the time. They don't have to name their children normally, when no matter what they do, esp. for expat parents, their names must be fxxked up.

So, I'd better change "bai ren kan bu dong" into "lao wai kan bu dong" (in order to be PC).

You can't really have perfect names, sorry. The laowais have their names butchered all the time too among us.

But why? Why are long, foreign butchered, and so is my name, supposedly terribly short - three syllables (CV, CVN, VN; N for nasal), namely, with no consonant clusters? We, then, have the stereotype that Chinese guys who take very short English names (Tom, Peter), and girls who take easy names (Mary, Susan), to a lesser extent, must be really stupid and bookish...(we see those names all the time on English textbooks)
J.C.   Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:19 am GMT
How about "Um Dois três de Oliveira Quatro"?
or , even worse, "Morango" ?
Guest   Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:35 pm GMT
Morango is a cute name. My mother friend's name's is Banana.
guest2   Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:28 am GMT
What about other countries giving their kids English names? I've seen Kevin, Jennifer, and Ryan in France. A lot of countries seem to like names from other cultures.

Cuba also has a lot of un-Spanish-sounding names: Yoani, Yoandri, Yusemi, et al.