Vernacular form/s of English as prestige form/s.

MollyB   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:22 am GMT
Is/are the vernacular form/s of English seen as a prestige form/s by some speakers? If so, which forms and by whom?
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:59 pm GMT
Whom is not a prestige form. Period.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:56 pm GMT
<Whom is not a prestige form. Period.>

Isn't it? Ah, well. What about the main thread question?

<Is/are the vernacular form/s of English seen as a prestige form/s by some speakers? >
JohnnyC   Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:44 am GMT
WTF?? Can't you people answer MollyB's question? She needs to hear that in our bigotry we prefer a certain brand of English above all others and that people who speak other varieties of English are ostracized and mocked.

So I'll give it a shot. It always seems to me that the brand of English spoken by attractive white people who have lived above the Mason/Dixon line. All the rest, well, we make them work on chain gangs where they have to ask for a drink of water if they get thirsty. Also, we don't spend money sending children to school if it seems they will likely grow up to speak the wrong dialect anyway. School would just be a waste of money for them, because you see, it's not education that makes a person speak correctly, it's being from the right race and socioeconomic group. Oh yes... I almost forgot.. Protestants only.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:47 am GMT
<<Is/are the vernacular form/s of English seen as a prestige form/s by some speakers? If so, which forms and by whom?>>

I suppose so. For example, African American English could be seen as prestigious for aspiring gangstas.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:57 am GMT
<<<<Is/are the vernacular form/s of English seen as a prestige form/s by some speakers? If so, which forms and by whom?>>

AAVE is also very attractive to a lot of white suburban "wiggers" who can't aspire to be cool in a way other than assimilating the speech patterns of the gangster class. They will also adorn themselves with clothing of the rolling 60s Crips. I saw a guy yesterday with a washcloth on his head. Not tied as in a bandana. It was a washcloth (or a warshrag as they say in Kentucky) laying on top of his head and he had to be careful not to bend over or it would fall off. But it made his gangsta aura *much* more frightening. I didn't know if he was going to shoot me or wash my car.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:29 am GMT
<<AAVE is also very attractive to a lot of white suburban "wiggers" who can't aspire to be cool in a way other than assimilating the speech patterns of the gangster class. >>

It's a bit like people who need to imitate an RP accent in order to be "accepted" by the "toffs". People are often chameleonic and tend to mimic. . Don't/Aren't you?