Russian, easy and hard points?

Xie   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:26 am GMT
>>I don't know what's difficult about it yet. Maybe it's difficult if you haven't studied languages. Maybe it's NOT the best choice for a starter language.

The reason is simple: Russian isn't strong enough. Even as a UNO language, it isn't even close to German or Japanese that I have to put it aside for at least 3 or 4 years.

Yes, that's very natural. Russian sounds sound very natural to my ears, though my native language has no such thing as con. clusters and soft sounds.
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:28 am GMT
<<
The reason is simple: Russian isn't strong enough. Even as a UNO language, it isn't even close to German or Japanese that I have to put it aside for at least 3 or 4 years.
>>

Who said anything about this? What's that got to do with easy and hard points of the Russian language?
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:37 am GMT
Xie,

I didn't understand your comments in relation to my quote. When I wrote "starter" language I meant the first foreign language one learns. There is the term "starter" home. Usually that's the first home one buys-not so expensive-the kind of place a young couple would buy.

Because Russian is more distant from English than German, it may not be the ideal FIRST foreign language for an elementary school student or older adult learner, but jmo.
Xie   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 am GMT
Of coz. More obscure languages already mean more difficult languages. At the first glance, an average Chen/Chan can tell that Russian is damn hard because of an alien script (even though s/he is a script master) and complicated grammar (his/hers is "very simple").

But then the reverse is true for Spanish, even though very few actually master it. Again, even with its reputation for ease, Spanish is just for the minority (unlike for some Americans, I guess), when everyone is learning English anyway.

I don't like all that long-winded analysis about the absolute difficulty in relation to morphology. Now it's the day when Americans are defining difficulty for stupid Chinese as well. (They don't intend their opinion to be that influential, so they suddenly gain an upper hand without doing anything!)
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:54 am GMT
Xie, are Chinese people really as stupid, ignorant and small-minded as you consistently make them out to be? You know, I know a lot of smart Chinese people and I think they'd be offended to read your constant bashing...
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:58 am GMT
Xie,

Alien scripts are rated too highly for difficulty. After learning Chinese Characters, who cares about a few new letters in Russian? It's nothing.
Same thing with Greek and Hebrew. Nothing. They aren't hard!

I suppose the letters scare some people. Take ж, for example. I like its shape and sound, but maybe some people think it looks like a tarantula
(don't read the read if you are skittish) ready to enter your nightmares.

I don't recommend Russian for lazy people, that's all. I don't want to scare people away from languages, so I would recommend it as a second foreign language, but not a first.
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 am GMT
Sorry,
I forgot to sign in. I'm the guest with ж.
Xie   Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:10 am GMT
LOL. Now you are taking it literally. I didn't say "all". I said "stupid". Stupid doesn't mean all, unlike that Jack Cafferty (who is a goon as well as thug, verbally) who was so terribly frank. Would I be just stupid as to bash myself? Having that said, it's been unfortunate that, yes, many might fall into this category (in terms of linguistic knowledge) because many of us keep on saying that our native script is damn hard to learn even for natives...

What I mean is there exists something _like_ "hypnotizing effects". Even if what you say isn't true, it could become true when a great majority believe it. I'm not very knowledgeable, but _I think_ it's been quite true for a lot of information now available. Travel information, difficulty of languages, knowledge of a lot of subjects (medicine, law, and precisely foreign languages in my city, unlike in China).... and more importantly, perhaps, the news about "potential" economic turmoil in the US (you know that better than I do, I think).

Many (now, this is weasel, of coz) non-natives don't have their own FSI scale at all. For example, many "smarter" Chinese are merely looking at the American FSI scale and see "wow, Chinese is the hardest, in the ??fourth?? category". Then some of them say English is very easy to learn, German is harder, Russian is much harder, and theirs is the hardest. Unfortunately, I personally don't know if a French/Brazilian/Japanese FSI scale ever exists (truly, no such thing by the PRC government, so no Chinese FSI scale). The ultimate power of newspeak means, EXACTLY, that if you can't even think of something of a language, like "whether the French have their own FSI scale", that part of the language doesn't exist (at least in your mind). There's no Oceania and newspeak, but the world now is pretty close to it, though never _is_ it, probably.

I can say (this is both weasel and over-generalizing; that's what Anglophone teachers taught me) with second thought: for over 99% (or the great majority; who cares, that's always weasel of me anyway) of the Chinese (or you can change it into many other nationalities), many foreign languages don't actually exist. If you go beyond English (which we use to communicate with so-called "foreigners", which mean essentially almost everybody from abroad), you must be a crazy language bluff. Of coz, they are important and useful for int'l commerce, but that path is so risky and unknown that you wouldn't dare to take. That sounds like a scam, but what comes to my mind now is: Japanese, for example, is popular enough at my place, so Japanese exists, although almost "nobody" except those associated with the business with Japan can understand it. But what about Portuguese? It doesn't exist. Sorry, even in Macau only civil servants need that obscure, unknown language for admin. purposes. You wouldn't see any use of it until you meet, if you are lucky, perhaps someone of exactly that foreign descent in that tiny city.

Knowing the existence of foreign languages isn't important at all. The fact (let's face it) that they don't exist in the minds of most of us (i.e. those you meet every day) already deny that "true" existence. Philosophy students can argue that "what you don't see may or may not exist", but again, in the case of Hong Kong's universities: in a particular philosophy department, for example, if all the professors don't know Chinese and have never studied Chinese philosophy, then of coz the syllabus won't ever include Chinese philosophy. In that sense, even though they know the Chinese have their own philosophy, which "might be very nice to study and teach in a Chinese place", at least in that department Chinese philosophy is pretty much non-existent. If you are a student of that department, you can't really apply your knowledge of something non-existent to do your essays well there.

So, by the same token, do those who say Russian is difficult really know how? You can't just read the declension tables and give "ugh" responses...

Even if it's all bluff, bluff can become truth if you succeed in hypnotizing everybody else. I wouldn't believe that my ancestors would say my native script is damn hard to learn, when they actually had nothing else to learn to become literate. To put it simply, it's just what people like Americans say, what Chinese teachers of foreign students like to say (to make money, of coz), and what stupid (NOT all) Chinese have come to believe.

That's a scam.

That letter looks darn good with my own "calligraphy", like a double-headed trident.
Xie   Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:28 am GMT
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enHK276HK276&q=fsi+%E7%BE%8E%E5%9C%8B%E6%94%BF%E5%BA%9C+%E9%9B%A3%E5%BA%A6&btnG=Search

I think this is a bunch of good words for more info. in the Chinese cyberspace.

As I might have guessed before in antimoon, a Chinese FSI scale might actually put the East Asian languages in Cat. 1, European ones in Cat. 2, other Asian in Cat.3...

since the topic is not language-restrictive: ultimately, as many other have already pointed out (yea, it gets old quickly), difficulty owing to linguistic similarity is a short-run phenomenon. Obscurity, I think, is more significant. English wouldn't be in Cat. 4 of my imaginary scale, when almost everybody has to learn it to enter a university (and to become, I think, Chinese FSI staff members). In that way, English's relatives, like German, should be easier.

But in a pure scale like such, English would then be in at least Cat. 2 for not sharing a single recognizable word.
K. T.   Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:41 am GMT
Xie,

I didn't make the post asking about your intelligence. Of course, Chinese need another scale to judge the difficulty of a language. Our starting points are different.

"That letter looks darn good with my own "calligraphy", like a double-headed trident."

I believe you. I bet it looks good. It's a great looking letter.
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:07 pm GMT
<<I suppose the letters scare some people. Take ж, for example. I like its shape and sound, but maybe some people think it looks like a tarantula
(don't read the read if you are skittish) ready to enter your nightmares.>>

A tarantula is a spider, which have 8 legs. The character looks more like a caterpillar ready to enter your romantic dreams.
Guest   Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:09 pm GMT
Interpreting the vertical stroke as body of that insect and the x like part as the wings, of course!
Xie   Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:07 am GMT
Haha, I'm still not used to aligning words properly. I don't usually reply to someone directly, so just take my words selectively.
Skippy   Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
The reason I say 3 cases in German is because the genitive case is used so rarely, it seems to be bordering on idiomatic.
Guest   Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:41 pm GMT
You still need to know it though. Just like in Russian there are some cases rarely used, but you've got to at least recognise them or you'll be left thinking "yo what the fucking shit mate".