PEROXIDE

ABC   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:20 pm GMT
PEROXIDE IS USED AS A BLEACHING AGENT FOR HAIR.
WHAT'S ANOTHER CHEMICAL COMPOUND THAT'S USED ON WOUNDS TO KILL BACTERIA?
K. T.   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 pm GMT
You probably mean Hydrogen peroxide.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm GMT
Triclosan, which is 5-chloro-2-(2,4-dichlorophenoxy)phenol is a good antibacterial and antifungal agent.
Uriel   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:02 am GMT
Hydrogen peroxide is the same thing as the hair-bleaching peroxide, too, I think.
K. T.   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:38 am GMT
Interesting. I never thought about it. On the other hand, I'm not a criminal who is fleeing to another country "on the blond", an expression I just made up.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:36 am GMT
<<WHAT'S ANOTHER CHEMICAL COMPOUND THAT'S USED ON WOUNDS TO KILL BACTERIA? >>

Iodine?
Jim   Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:46 pm GMT
ethanol
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:36 pm GMT
<<Interesting. I never thought about it. On the other hand, I'm not a criminal who is fleeing to another country "on the blond", an expression I just made up.>>

That's a very good expression.
Uriel   Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:06 am GMT
Straight bleaching with peroxide won't give you anything resembling a "normal" blond color. I got my hair bleached from brown to platinum blond as a teenager, and I remember watching it turn bright red, then fluorescent orange, then a hideous yellow. The hairdresser then applied a bluish-tinged toner to it to turn it into something approximating a color actually found in nature. Burned like crazy, and she wouldn't wash it off until it was done no matter how much I complained, because, as she told me quite pointedly, my hair would be stuck in that awful yellow phase, and she didn't want that on her conscience!