Cultural diferences...

Laura Braun   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:44 am GMT
To learn language doesn't mean only to have good vocabulary. You have to know a little bit from a culture wherever you go. So we should not look like Borat having experienced american or any kind of other english language culture. To be honest I have met someone who came with few english words in USA... I have no idea why someone started to call him Borat. For example how many of you have been experianced going to Metro or taking a bus. It's a stressful situation. You wish to go to somewhere. You have to be prepared for everything. One day I got the Metro bus and was trying kindly to ask the driver if he would be polite to show me the station. But instead of doing that he just drove me to some other place. It has happened the next time too and one more time. Then I was on my way to curse him. How could he dares to drive me at the same place where is not mine place. But it has happened ... I dropped my wallet at the same bus. I just got lost all my documents ID, Driver licence. With trembling voice I went and I asked if he had found my wallet. He had found it ... not only that but he gave it to lost and found place where I can find it all. It's only an example. For example if you go to Paris and you visit Notr Dam de Pari (or howerver frenchmen called it) you will read in front of the door . Be aware that there are pickpockets. OK. I went there trying to concentrate and to pray but instead of that I thought only about if someone is not going to steal my wallet. Just kidding. Every place is unique in it's own way. Some people shake hands to say hello others are kissing on their chicks for hello. Others are not even dare to touch each others, because they can get dirty. Or I just heard about this. In some countries alcohol is not allowed . But imagine how much desirable is that liquid. In some countries if it's written that it's not alowed to smoke you are not even allowed to smoke even a cigarrette on the balcony of some restaurant. What is the diference if I smoke on the street or on your balcony. Wherever is said it's not allowed . It's just not allowed. But as I think in some countries it's not allowed doesn't speak nothing to people , because they do whatoever they wish to do even though it's forbidden. As I think in US there is yellow line or red line wherever you wait on a queue. But in some countries it's a great pleasure to take teh shortcut. It's all about cultural matter at all. In US there aren't free dogs on the street . All dogs are on leash and people curb after their dogs. OOOps that couldn't happened in some other countries where there are free dogs and nobody seems to care if he cleans after his dog. that's the reason you may step on something unclean on the street. This world is so colorful. If I start to talk about cultural diferences which I faced it will took may be two three pages. But I would like to ask if you have some experiance in foreign country. How did you get over the situation. did you get confused?
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:59 am GMT
Aaargh, it doth seer mine eyes.

Paragraphs please.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:09 pm GMT
The Guest who posted above: I think you'll find the word is sear.

You can use the word "seer" in reference to the act of using your eyes though by means of your sense of sight.

Regarding the culture thing, every country more or less has it's own distinctive culture, which can vary enormously, one to another. It reflects the lifestyle of a country, as you know. Transition from one to another can result in varying degrees of "shock" because it's not what you've been used to, especially if the new cultural environment you've been landed in differs widely from the one in which you've been accustomed. It can happen even within individual countries, but the main culture shocks happen when you move to an entirely new country.

Alexandra Boyd, a British actress who has now landed a prominent part in a UK TV soap opera "Coronation Street", met an American serviceman who was stationed over here in the UK - a case of mutual head over heels and all that stuff, and after a few years here in the UK they moved to his home area back in the USA - in the Texas panhandle. She recounted all this in a UK TV interview this week, and, quoting her exact words, she said this: "The moment I arrived there the culture was one huge shock - shock because there simply was no culture! None whatsoever! ". She didn't expand on this, but then she said they later moved to California and she was very much happier living there.

Nevertheless, chronic homesickness held sway throughout her time in the USA, she could not help it she said, even though her life in California really was all sunshine and surfing and fast living. Now she is back home in the UK to stay, and landed this part in "Coronation Street", working on the famous set in Salford, which is part of Manchester.

Coronation Street? If that isn't a whole culture shock in itself then nothing is! As Alexandra Boyd speaks with quite a cultured English English RP, quite cut glass really (in spite of all those 18 years in America) she may well have to adapt her natural accent to fit in with the gritty Northern England tones of the mythical suburb of real life Manchester called Weatherfield.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:02 pm GMT
To the poster above who wrote: "every country more or less has it's own distinctive culture"

I think you'll find it's "its" not "it's". "It's" is a contraction of "it is", whereas you are using in the possessive sense therefore it should be "its", not "it's".

Glad to be of service.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:16 pm GMT
I wondered what had happened to that missing '! Thanks for returning it safe and sound......now I can put it in ITS rightful place. IT'S a pleasure to be able to avail myself of your services, pal - or whatever your name is.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:01 pm GMT
Guest. Just Guest.
Bill in Los Angeles   Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
<<I think you'll find it's "its" not "it's".>>

You have to excuse Damien. He's from Scotland. Learning English as a second or third language is hard enough sober. Why don't *you* try translating directly from Pictish when you're 3 sheets to the wind??
Jasper   Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:00 pm GMT
DAMIAN, from my many experiences with being around Europeans, almost certainly what the fine English lady meant with her comment of "no culture in Texas" is the lack of a Ballet, a Symphony Orchestra, an Opera, etc., all of which are completely absent from rural Texas life. (You can find these things in Texas cities, but she was in the Texas panhandle.)

LAURA, "In some countries alcohol is not allowed . But imagine how much desirable is that liquid. "

I would have to respectably disagree with this statement. In my life experience, all that drinking alcohol seems to do to people is make them do bad, embarrassing things that eventually brings their lives to ruin.

To be fair, I'm sure I have inherited more than just a touch of American Puritanism; I'm biased, and I know it.
Jasper   Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:01 pm GMT
Laura, Borat is a stage name. The comedian is, in reality, a Brit from Jewish heritage.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm GMT
<<I would have to respectably disagree with this statement. In my life experience, all that drinking alcohol seems to do to people is make them do bad, embarrassing things that eventually brings their lives to ruin. >>

Perhaps drunkenness (like obesity) is mainly a US problem? In Europe, I have to assume they know how to drink their world-class wines, beers, and whiskies, and other liquors in moderation. Over there, I'm guessing that people almost never get into drunken brawls, knife fights, etc. after a night of overindulgence.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 pm GMT
<<Over there, I'm guessing that people almost never get into drunken brawls, knife fights, etc. after a night of overindulgence.>>

Er... you would be mistaken if you thought that. Think of all the drunken pandemonium that breaks out during the World Cup matches. Or the stereotypical drunk Russian. Or the stereotypical drunk Irishman or Scotsman.
Guest   Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 pm GMT
<<Or the stereotypical drunk Irishman or Scotsman. >>

How about in France, Italy, Spain, etc?
Bill in Los Angeles   Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:19 pm GMT
<<I would have to respectably disagree with this statement. In my life experience, all that drinking alcohol seems to do to people is make them do bad, embarrassing things that eventually brings their lives to ruin.>>

Well, that pretty well describes why I don't drink very often. I haven't ruined my life, but I've done way too many bad, embarrassing things when I'm drunk. Alcohol makes me taller, better looking, stronger, funnier and irresistable to women.

But as for alcohol being a sought-after commodity in countries where it's banned, Laura is right. Like anything else, if it makes you feel taller, better looking, stronger, funnier and irresistable to women *AND* it's forbidden, there's gonna be a huge market for it.

<<Perhaps drunkenness (like obesity) is mainly a US problem? In Europe, I have to assume they know how to drink their world-class wines, beers, and whiskies, and other liquors in moderation. Over there, I'm guessing that people almost never get into drunken brawls, knife fights, etc. after a night of overindulgence>>

If only that were the case. I've lived all over Europe and being drunk and stupid is unfortunately a *human* (or perhaps more accurately a human male) problem as opposed to a US problem. I loved your comment about Europeans drinking their whiskeys, etc. in moderation! That's very funny. Some Europeans do, just as some of us drink in moderation. You can't think that drunken misbehavoir would respect international borders do you?

When you wrote that I immediately remembered travelling through Northern France in a van driven by a friend of mine who is an alcoholic. He was completely plastered and we made up a game where every time we'd come to a stop light or a stop sign Jules (my drunken French buddy and actually my girlfriend's step father) would ram into the car in front of us.... Of course we were drinking world class wine, but that didn't stop us from behaving like world class idiots. I've seen bar fights in Ireland that rival a scene from a Hollywood movie that takes place in an Old West saloon. I've been arrested with British friends in a London suburb for urinating in the street. Granted, you'd expect that from me, being an American and all, but my Brit friends were not innocent. As we get older fortunately we get a little wiser. All of these people (with the exception of poor old Jules, who died of liver disease), including myself, changed our behavior once we got out of college and settled down into jobs. Some of us got married, which is probably the real reason we calmed down. Somehow our wives were not very tolerant of such behavior. Frankly, most men end up makign a choice somewhere along the line. When faced with a choice between drunken brawling, vandalism, public urination and going to jail on one hand, and on the other hand, sex, well, it wasn't much of a contest.
Bill in Los Angeles   Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:31 pm GMT
<<She didn't expand on this, but then she said they later moved to California and she was very much happier living there.>>

That's not surprising. I'm sure, being an actress, she moved to Los Angeles in California where there were parties and clubs and all the Hollywood celebrities to rub shoulders with. So if you're an actor and you move from El Paso, TX to Los Angeles, the difference will be drastic. Had she moved to Lodi or Boron or San Ysidro, she wouldn't have noticed a change.

I think, as you've mentioned earlier, Damien, that British expats often develop a sense of homesickness even when they experience the best the US has to offer... it can't compare to their home.

<<Or the stereotypical drunk Irishman or Scotsman. >>
<<How about in France, Italy, Spain, etc? >>

Well, I'm sure the problem is worse in Spain, Italy or France if it's a football match and the Tartan Army is present, or any Irishmen, or Man United fans.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:24 am GMT
The most dire cultural shock was when I first habituated India and a sizable quantity of males desired caresses together with me. They weren't even curved, they just consider it diverting. It was only a fleeting ocurrence though, I became enhabituated to it quite velocitiously!