How many and what languages do you speak?

przlmzl   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
and how many native English speakers are here who can speak another language?

thanks
Bill in Los Angeles   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:18 pm GMT
Native English speaker. I speak 4 languages fluently.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:39 pm GMT
what languages are that?
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:06 pm GMT
Doi a menilak jemech?
Yest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:41 pm GMT
Ik spreek óan rerd, ðue is mijn oanliche rerd, ðear yie hier sieþ
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:39 pm GMT
I'm a native English speaker, and I speak a total of 3 different languages (English, Chinese, and French).
Skippy   Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:43 pm GMT
Native English speaker, I can get around with German.
K. T.   Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:35 am GMT
I'm a native speaker of English. I can speak five languages well enough to get into and out of trouble. I can speak some other languages on widely different levels. I understand about ten. I am not a linguist. I am not a genius. My accent is decent in most of the languages I speak so that covers "many sins"; as trivial as that may sound, I think this has opened the way for natives to talk to me over the years.

I have never knowingly met anyone who speaks more than ten languages with both good grammar and an excellent accent. I know that Prof. AA has many videos on languages, but I have not heard his conversational skills.
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:38 am GMT
<<I can speak five languages well enough to get into and out of trouble.>>

To get into trouble? That must mean your skills are bad, or else you must be a hooligan!
K. T.   Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:47 am GMT
Not at all. Maybe you've heard of people who say that they speak "well enough to get INTO trouble"? This is my variation on that. Frankly, knowing another language can get you into trouble or out of it.

If you know a language, you may end up being a free translator, interpreter or tour guide. Oh, I left off "desktop publisher" for some people. That can be fun OR trouble.
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:47 am GMT
I speak Yankee, Dixie, and AAVE.