Multilingual Italian/What do you think? He's pretty good...

Caspian   Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:20 am GMT
Lol
Gabriel   Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:03 pm GMT
His Spanish is perfect, he could easily pass for a Spaniard.
K. T.   Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:29 pm GMT
He has several videos now. In one, he speaks English like a native EXCEPT for the word "pronunciation" which sounds a little unusual to me.

He talks about the difficulties of learning English and he's on target about this topic.

I think there are more people out there like Luca. We just don't see them on Youtube.

It's interesting to note that his gestures (body language) differs a bit in the videos when he speaks different languages. Watch him in Italian, for example.

He's one of the most impressive polyglots I've seen on Youtube.

He thinks very quickly in languages. The train is going very fast in his head.
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:28 am GMT
"It's interesting to note that his gestures (body language) differs a bit in the videos when he speaks different languages. Watch him in Italian, for example. "

It seems that unlike other languages Italian involves the whole body, not just the forearms.
And when Luca speaks German he nods his head in a typical German way.

You have a great sense of observation K.T.
K. T.   Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:57 am GMT
I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Here's the address for anyone who may enjoy seeing a good example of a polyglot.

http://mx.youtube.com/watch?v=vhK-WSp3n64

Italian, English, German, Swedish, and French. There may be others.
K. T.   Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:58 am GMT
Also Dutch. Enjoy!
K. T.   Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:00 am GMT
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 am GMT
It's easy to learn many languages when you live in Rome: the city of tourists.
Try this in Denver, Sacramento, Columbus or Boise, way difficult.
Guest   Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:31 am GMT
Even better to live in the USA; the country of immigrants.
K. T.   Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 am GMT
Guest Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 am GMT
"It's easy to learn many languages when you live in Rome: the city of tourists.
Try this in Denver, Sacramento, Columbus or Boise, way difficult."

Hmmm. I don't know. I think you have to have the gift first. I don't mean people who don't have the gift (discerning sounds and reproducing them very well) can't learn languages, only that I think Luca has the personality or drive, the gift and the opportunity to learn these languages.

The question is this: Do you think that you could learn these languages if you had the same location?

I think you can learn Japanese, Spanish, and at least Russian if you live in the Sacramento area. There are enough opportunities there.

In the Denver area, I wouldn't be surprised if you found some French speakers.

In Columbus, I think you can find some of these languages-at least Spanish.

I don't know about Boise. You may be right about Idaho.

Look up "Verein" for German, "Italian-American" organizations, Mexican groceries, Russian groceries, and French Clubs.

To speak a language, sometimes you have to step out of your comfort zone to make the contacts you need to begin speaking like a native.
PARISIEN   Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
<< It's easy to learn many languages when you live in Rome: the city of tourists. >>

-- If this were true, people living in tourist magnets like London, NYC or Paris would be great polyglots.
I have rather the sensation that in place flooded with tourists and immigrants, the locals react with strong monolinguism.
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:35 pm GMT
My goooooooooood!!! Can this section be more annoying???
There are a lot of people out there being very fluent in a lot of languages but they don't post their videos on YouTube!!!

Non te la menare tanto!!!

P.S. Your Swedish sucks!
K. T.   Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:34 am GMT
I understand that there are a lot of "fluent" people out there, but most of the time, it turns out that after three or four languages, they aren't equally fluent in the remaining languages, or they have accents that grate on one's/your ears.

This is why Luca is a little special-he lets us see his talent in action. I don't think he is equally good in all languages and I noted this in an earlier post, but he is pretty darn good in the languages I know.

Luca reportedly posts at HTLAL now AND has given some info on his methods.
dansk   Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:43 am GMT
I agree with the other one, who cares if this guy can speak so many languages, you simply don't show it off posting it on youtube.
Maybe he even memorized the first sentences of every language!
If not, impressive, but too cocky.
K. T.   Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:04 am GMT
It's just fun. It's always a risk to showcase the languages you speak. You either get asked to translate multiple languages you DON'T speak, or someone will pick apart your pronunciation here or over at HTLAL.

If Luca is how he presents himself, a non-language person sharing his hobby, it's a very good show. If he is actually an actor, then it's a good show either way. His pronunciation is head and shoulders over many "language" people I've heard.

I guess the only way to do it is to share your languages and ask for comments. "How is my Swedish?" "Please tell me if there are errors in my pronunciation or intonation." "Do I sound like a Southerner in English?"
"I need someone who is honest to critique my languages because I have to give a presentation on subject X in Geneva in a month and I want to do my best."

My advice to Luca is to leave out the girlfriend stories, though, lol. I don't think the ladies are going to like that (current lady friend excepted, of course).