English lovers: are you left-brained or right-brained?

Uriel   Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 am GMT
I have never believed in that left brain/right brain crap. Everybody uses ALL of their brain, unless it's been damaged. To say that people really use one side more than another is a bunch of BS.
Uriel's fan   Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:54 am GMT
I ONLY believe in URIEL'S intelligence, Not in right or left brain shit
Uriel's air-conditioning   Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:13 pm GMT
<<I ONLY believe in URIEL'S intelligence, Not in right or left brain shit>>

Me too!
Uriel's urethra   Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
Me three!
Uriel's intelligence   Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:45 pm GMT
I know people who use none of their brain.
Uriel's sock   Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:08 pm GMT
<<I know people who use none of their brain.>>

Even people with Dementia use some of their brains.
BadJack   Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:09 am GMT
<<This right/left brain nonsense is not something which you should be thinking about provided your wills are free and you're not under the influence of hallucinogenic remedial herbs. >>

I think in California, test likes these are used to determine which type of work you'll be given by the state. A "progressive" perception of the illusion will get you into the higher eschelons of governmrnt and corporations and even helps with college admissions. "Incorrect" perception will help you leave school early and results in higher car insurance.

It's also used to determine who's allowed to marry whom. To see the woman spinning from right *to* the left (widdershins), is "correct" in the eyes of the state because the people in charge at the state level believe that spinning left means lning toward the more progressive parties (politically speaking) whereas right-spinning (deiseil) is perceived as bourgeois and counterrevolutionary... reactionary as opposed to progressive.

So there are many people around who believe in this stuff and also have a strong faith in crystals, astrology, tarot cards, tea leaves and groundhogs.

I'm fine with it up to the point it informs policy decisions.
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:44 am GMT
Jasper   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:28 pm GMT
Let us not be too hasty to label left-brain/right-brain thinking as "pseudoscience"; at the very least, there are nuggets of truth in the idea.

If you will recall, stroke victims who experience brain damage on the left side of the brain lose their ability to speak; my own knowledge about the brain reminds me that the language centers are located in the left side right behind the prefrontal lobe.

Moreover, studies have been done with epileptics who've had the connecting tissue between the halves severed; some of the old ideas about left-brain/right-brain dominance have been confirmed with this research.

While admittedly the whole idea of left-brain/right-brain dominance is simplistic, I feel that there is still some merit in the theory.

Once on a whim, I asked my roommate to watch the woman spin at the same time as I. The results were interesting: while he saw the woman spin alternately to the left, then to the right, for me she span continuously to the right. This suggests that the picture is not some previously-programmed computer trick, but that our brains really are perceiving the illusion differently...
Jasper   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:32 pm GMT
Here's some information about split-brain research, which confirms some ideas about the hemispheres of the brain:

http://snipurl.com/361um
[serendip_brynmawr_edu]
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:33 pm GMT
It looks like Uriel and his flock are going to eat a lot of crow for dinner tonight.
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:51 pm GMT
<<It looks like Uriel and his flock are going to eat a lot of crow for dinner tonight.>>

*her* flock. Uriel's female.
Guest   Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:35 pm GMT
Jasper, explain how that research shows that there is _dominance_ of one "hemisphere" of the brain rather than merely showing that different parts of the brain have different functions, which everyone already knows. Once you do that, mind showing us the research that prove that the spinning dancer image really tells you anything about said "dominance"?

BTW, even though certain parts of the brain are associated with certain functions in all brains, the associations may vary between people. For instance, blind people are likely to use the portion of the brain normally associated with sight for other functions. This shows that the brain is more malleable than you might think.
Jasper   Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:12 am GMT
Guest:

Point 1: I believe the dissertation at Bryn Mawr explained that pretty well; a reread might make this clearer. I could get you more cites, but it's my experience that no amount of proof will convince a skeptic.

Point 2: I'm not sure that I can answer that; I'm not sure anybody else can, either. Scientific testing would require mega-bucks at a brain research center equipped with MRI machines; I don't think that's been done yet.

The spinning girl test was really posted for fun, and possibly to get just an indication (not college-level proof) to the mindset of Antimoon posters. Perhaps we are all taking this a little bit too seriously--ya think?
Guest   Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:31 am GMT
<<I believe the dissertation at Bryn Mawr explained that pretty well; a reread might make this clearer. I could get you more cites, but it's my experience that no amount of proof will convince a skeptic.>>

All I saw was that the two sides of the brain behaved differently. It never said that one was more dominant than the other in those who do not have split brains.