My English Accent

Caspian   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:47 pm GMT
Well, can you analyze my accent? I'm native, obviously. Here it is...

http://www.quickfilepost.com/download.do?get=7ef2832d9ede52ef489bcda4f51c2880
Antonio from RJ   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:03 pm GMT
That is weird. will this do?
why "obviously"?
Caspian   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:11 pm GMT
Well, how is it weird? I mean what accent is it. Where is RJ? Oh, and obviously because I am English, not foreign.
Northwesterner   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:32 pm GMT
Wow. You have a terrific voice! I really like your accent. You sound just like a young Prince or a Duke. Buckingham Palace, perhaps?
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:34 pm GMT
You sound like Harry Potter.
Ted from Texas   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:36 pm GMT
Either England or Australia or New Zealand.
Francis   Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:06 pm GMT
Nice accent. Here's my attempt at trying to speak like you:

http://www1.zippyshare.com/v/34776027/file.html

What do you think?
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:51 am GMT
He's not from New Zealand.
Lady Abergavenny   Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:53 am GMT
You sound like a typical young middle class RBKC resident who has spent a good deal of time on Old Compton Street. I'm not so keen on it. Sorry.
Antonio from RJ   Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:49 pm GMT
Hey Caspian.
RJ is Rio de Janeiro ;d
weird because I couldn´t analise it well really. Your accent sounded a bit "clipped" more than usual. To me, your "ay"´s and "y"´s sounded weird. Although the rest was quite inconclusive.
As a Londoner myself, originally from Chealsea - the so mentioned RBKC - you sound uncommon. Do you have any foreign influence?
Mind I am *no* expert and, that my expertise in accent analysis is about nothing. If I met you I would probaly ask where you were from...
Please let me know more about your background.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 pm GMT
>> Your accent sounded a bit "clipped" more than usual <<

Yes, it sounded very clipped.

>>
You sound like a typical young middle class RBKC resident who has spent a good deal of time on Old Compton Street.
<<

Wow, that's awesome that you can pin it down to a particular street in England. In American English, one would be lucky to pin it down to several states most of the time.
Caspian   Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:48 pm GMT
Hi
I like all your guesses! What is RBKC?
I have lived in Devon all my life, though my accent is not a Devon accent, I know.
I like the accent Francis - sounds a bit Irish, are you from Ireland? Thanks Northwesterner, you're not the first to say that!

Thanks everyone
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:10 pm GMT
>> I like all your guesses! What is RBKC? <<

The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in London. The borough is immediately to the west of the City of Westminster. It contains a substantial number of city centre facilities such as major museums and universities, department stores like Harrods, and embassies. It also contains many of the most exclusive residential districts in London.
Antonio from RJ   Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm GMT
Caspian, I´m boggled. You really don´t sound like Devon. And I´m still confused about the bits I mentioned. Have you any idea as to what made your accent be a "dot off the curve" ? It certainly does not sound any RP - like Northwesterner otherwise mentioned. Although, I must say it´s very clear and has a smooth way.
Considering you have uploaded us a sample, you must have something to add about your own view of your accent, otherwise wouldn´t have recorded it in the very first place (ie.: I would record a sample of mine so to allow people to analyse the influence I got in my English)
std,
Caspian   Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:18 pm GMT
I have no idea why it may be 'a dot off the curve'. No, I said that it wasn't a Devon accent, although I have lived in Devon for all of my life. I really don't think it's that unusual - my mother speaks in the same way, and so do the rest of my family.

No, I was just interested in an analysis.